You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

coolant leak

i need to replace those same valves on mine. problem is they are so close together on that block that you have to take them all off to get at the one on one end. and you have to figure out how not to lose all the coolant.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I think thats a good idea having electric dash heat, probably wouldn't be all that hard to rig up either, what kind of electric were you thinking?

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

I haven't given it a lot of thought yet but I would probably determine if it's feasible to use one of these small electric in-line furnaces. The white box shown here is one of several Newell used for my electric heat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I believe I have both an electric and normal dash heat on mine. There is a switch that says "whisper heat"

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Tom, How much coolant would one lose changing the valves? My coolant still checks out good, but adding fresh coolant would not be bad. I don't mind cutting off the AH hose entirely but would like to keep the dash heater. It doesn't look like the valves are just regular house valves.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

not exactly sure. sometime soon i am going to find out.

my issue was i have a coolant leak in the heater core/or hoses under the dash. so, i shut the valve off going to the dash at that manifold. it leaked like crazy when it was closed so i had to open it again.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
Try shutting off both the in & out valve. It may take the pressure off & stop leaking. Worth a try.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, do you have ELC coolant? I thought I saw red in your coolant tube in one of your engine photos. If so did you change it out? I changed my 07 from green to ELC and it is not an easy task.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

While we are on leaks, I have a small leak on my hydraulic pump at the engine. Has anyone changed the gasket on this pump? I tried to tighten the four bolts but were tight. I guess if it is taken apart you would lose all the fluid.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I have electric heaters near the legs of the driver and passenger. I have never needed to turn them on. They are plugged into 110 outlets.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica