You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

AquaHot & heater shut off valves

Newell part #MC15248 and cost is currently $60.39 each. Four are used on a coach--1 to heater, 1 from heater, 1 to AquaHot & 1 from AquaHot. They mount on a manifold along the left frame rail back by the engine compartment. Thanks to Chappell for getting the info from Newell.

Not exactly sure what years these particular valves were used as they are no longer being used. I would guess '95 into the 2000s. Looks like I need to redo my guess from '99 into the 2000s.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, without checking to confirm, those look just like the valves that were used on the 8V92 Newells in the early 1990's also. They used 2 valves.

edit: remove reference to 4 valves on the 8V92.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

My '98 does not have the manifold but uses individual valves. Not sure if these are the same valve or not. But it might be easier to change mine to ball valves.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Good point Forest, I just checked and mine are not on a manifold either. I also only see 2 valves. The marine water heater may come directly off of the hose to and from the front heater.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael my '93 had 4 valves, 1 set at the rear of the engine and I think the other set may have been on the front. But don't remember.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

These things are the devil to get to with a wrench. The bottom one is easy but the other three there is not much room. There are 8 hoses in all coming and going from the manifold. Four going to the cutoffs and four from the rear of the manifold going to the AH and the heater. My 07 coach had a inline ball valve cutoff for each line going and coming from the dash heater. It did not have an Aqua Hot. When I changed the coolant I just disconnected the hoses from the cut offs and blew air through one to get all the coolant out of the heater. Worked great.
I don't see why an inline ball valve cutoff can't be installed here and do away with the manifold all together. Am I missing something or can this be done?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I'm agreeing with Chappell on this one. Use a ball valve like this:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i agree i am gonna look at doing that

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Nebco makes a ball valve the will go to 250 degrees. I think will be high enough.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

OK, I bought 4 ball valves from Lowes. They have two models, one made in China and an Apollo brand that is made in the USA. The Apollo is more expensive and more robust, so I bought the Apollo. Lowes does not have the 3/4" hose barbs for our heater hoses. So I found what we need at www.fitzilla.com and is part #201A-12E and the cost is $2.08 each plus shipping. 3/4X3/4 Hose Barb to MPT.
Now the hard part is figuring out a way to mount these suckers. They are heavy so the hose should not support them. There is not much room in there to work. Maybe after taking off the manifold one could use the bracket to mount a piece of metal to support them. Then the turn off handles get into the way of each other. The flow through the valves doesn't seem to matter so one could be turned where the handles could turn in the opposite directions. Also a couple of the hoses coming from the engine can be gotten to fairly easy so new longer hoses could be installed and then a couple of the valves could be put downstream from where they are now. These are just thoughts I have and have not decided the best way. Any thoughts will help.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot