You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Tank leak !!

Forest beat me to it. Bypass the tank if you need to roll. I would not travel with a leaking tank. You don't know if it's a simple pinhole or the start of a rank rupture.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Curious as to why this 2001 air tank would go bad. Would it be rust from the inside?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester, I had a air tank leak on my 07. Why I don't know, but I decided to have it welded, and It never leaked again. Figured it was a weak place in the tank. Maybe a defect of some sort.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Just found out from Newell that that air tank runs all your dashboard gauges and more.. I will try to patch it for few days and order tank, Newell has them in stock for 78$ and yes, I will have to slide and move out of teh way the dryer's motor otherwise you can not get it out..

Yes, I think if they were not relief in intervals than water sits there and they can rust easy!
I did maintained mine for the last 3 years we own the coach but I am not sure past owner did?

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Thanks you all for great suggestions with air tank problem ! well I ordered new tank from Newell since they had some in stock for 70$ I gave the dimensions and size etc, and they still send me wrong size tank??? its same size capacity but larger in diameter and shorter. Diameter is the problem because there is no room to m mount it since would have to sit on the top of the dryers fan cover! what I did is remove the tank and have local welder try to weld it, he did great job patching pin hole ! I also put bunch of JB Weld glue entire end of the tank.
I figured out when we get back to our home in Montana I can order right tank and replace it!

No, I ran in to bigger problem on the way! I BTW my plumbing configuration is same as Russ's I put back all four air lines back using thread paste for air tight fit. I than fired up the compressor and is not feeling up the tank???? can figure what happened ? I removed air hose from out gong air port of compressor to check if the air is pumping out and its coming out, but for some reason is not going all the way up to the air tank? I check all fittings with sopa/water and no leaks, let compressor for about 25 minutes but again, no air in the tank?
Is anyone ran in to same problem before? we still have about 250 miles to go and need to fix this before hit the road and ended up in our house !

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les - the fitting on the inlet of my tank is a check valve. It is vital to the systems proper operation. I don't know what you might have had apart, but if by chance you were to put this valve in the other way ( backwards ) it would not allow the compressor to fill the tank. Just a thought…..

Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

What Russ said! Les, the check valve will simply look like a long brass fitting. It should have a narrow on it indicating which way the air flows. Also, if you got over zealous with the pipe paste or Teflon tape, you can get some in the valve and stop it up

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I found out from Newell that that Engine is supplied with traditional compressor and you can drive it with no problem ! breaks work of different systems.
BTW I was able to fix the tank ( have it weld the patch ) and its good to go , when I get home I will put new one in

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Richard and Russ thanks for the tips, I do know of the check valve , mine is outside of the regulator and I did not move it at all.
I did find out the problem! one small diameter air line which going to the springs relay box was kinked and would not allow air going to it! Now all works perfect ! I get good solid 70 minutes out between cycles!
Will go back home and replace new tank just to be on safe side !!
Love to re plumb all and make simple connections, case someone put more brass unions than you need it.
I talk to Terry from Newell on the phone and asked him what would happen if I did not be able to fix it could I drive with this air line open?
He said : no problem! engine is supply with its own compressor and draw the air through different air system and everything will work!!!

That is good to know.
I send the tank back to Newell since they have send me wrong one , 8" diameter and it wont fit because dryer's big fan is in its way!also mounting brackets would have to be change since is short tank. Ebay and Amazon is floated with right tanks 6x23" for anywhere 50-90$

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

I had a leak on coach #659 on the air tank above the squirrel cage that cool the gen set, I found it while at home looking for air leaks "as I have read apparently we all do" I removed and welded it and replaced.... of course only after it had burned up the jun-air compressor.... Now here we just got this thing and I learned a lesson quick 1st check the oil in the small compressor  "in our old coach the compressor was air cooled and only used to flush the toilet" 2nd when in storage turn off the compressor .....  knowing Newell has several air tanks "at least ones I own" for travel precaution I went to our truck shop parts room and found out that if I combine two 4 inch muffler exhaust clamps that are used to attach the 4" flex pipe to the rigid pipe going to the muffler on our Peterbilts they fit snug around the body of the air tank, I then went to the auto parts store and pick up an steel epoxy adhesive and emery cloth for just such an emergency ... Well it happened yesterday only it happen to my parents coach #639, we are on a trip to new orleans and here air leaking under the front of the coach so I look in the front left compartment above the squirrel cage and low and behold no tank but still here a leak. After raising the coach as high as possible we find it .... there air two tanks above the front axle that I am pretty sure are for the braking system so I pull out my clamps and epoxy  scoot, wiggle, and squirm my way under there " I'm 6' 280 lbs so when I say all that..... well we call that wallering around under there.... I sanded off the area where the hole was applied the epoxy liberally ,snug up the clamps  and waited for 12 hours for proper cure .... and as Paul Harvey said here's the rest of the story  ....   Dad just fired her up and it is holding pressure can't hear a leak so on down the road we go .......       Sorry not a lot of room for camera shot .....................     

Billy & Starla Hoffman
Poteau Oklahoma
 2003 Newell #659