You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

First Newell with Murphy Bed

I know that Marc's coach 701, which is a 2004, has a murphy bed in it. Is any one aware of an earlier Newell with a murphy bed?

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I may be wrong but I think mine may have been the show coach at the FMCA rally in Albuquerque in spring of 04. I actually walked through it there . And I thought it was just a day coach. No bed room. Bu they showed me the Murphy bed. I may be wrong or possibly wishful thinking but funny how 10 years later I own it.. Lol ...I also believe 701 is the first coach to have Both a steer tag and spider wire.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Yours was close Marc. 671 was Newell's test coach for the ZF suspension with the steerable tag, the the next coach was 681. The first Newell with the Spyder Controls was 695. So, it appears that 695 was likely the first Newell with both steerable tag and Spyder Controls wiring. To the best of my knowledge, your coach 701 was the first Newell with steerable tag, Spyder Controls and a front entry. Add in the Murphy Bed and I am almost certain yours was a first.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Lol . Maybe you are way more versed than me .. I just had not seen anything before mine with steer and spiderwire. Gotta promote value.. Lol

Marc Newman

Marc

Good thing you are keeping a close eye on 1517, hey in 10 years you never know! Lol

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

I want to make sure you keep it serviced. Lol. Those floors of yours are incredible. We are thinking of getting rid of the carpet in ours and going to hard wood. I may ask you later if I can copy..Smile

Marc Newman

So what, exactly is the "spider wire" ~ it that the multiplex wire that results in those illuminated switches for lights, etc, rather than the toggle switches I'm seeing in coach 685 we're considering? My wife really hates the dated look of those switches, but I'd imagine it would take a kings ransom to upgrade.

We love the thought of Murphy Beds...but are they always so low to the ground? They hit me mid-calf. They're surprisingly heavy to lift, too, but the extra room they create (rear "family room") cannot be beat! Of the three I've seen, I'm surprised there isn't an automated or at least counterbalanced lift.

Mark of SJC

i am not familiar with the multibus system newell uses but a digitally controlled system would require substantial investment and rewiring. yea, they are cool, but not sure why you would want to spend the money to retrofit.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I understand that switches gives one a lot less problems. Very easy to repair if broken. I have not replaced any of mine.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Spyder Controls Corp is a company out of Lacombe, Alberta, Canada that has been producing high end electronic control systems for yachts and motorhomes since 1997. Coach 695, a 2004 model, was the first Newell incorporating the Spyder Controls system. The system was NOT the multiplex (single wire) system. That was not incorporated by Newell until coach 1293, a 2010 model. The Spyder Controls system allows control of lighting, shades and mechanical systems all integrated into a single system. I suspect that the retrofit cost would be extreme but Newell would be happy to do it if it is possible.

Murphy bed - all of the ones I have seen have been very close to the ground. To make the mattress higher, the wall cabinet would have to be much deeper to accommodate the bed when raised which would be a space utilization issue and potentially an extended length issue although there might be technical ways to avoid that but it would be more complex.

Those Newell owners I have talked to that have murphy beds seem to be pleased with them. I am still waiting to receive confirmation of any coach earlier than 701 with a Murphy Bed.

(07-29-2014, 02:01 PM)MarkofSJC Wrote:  So what, exactly is the "spider wire" ~ it that the multiplex wire that results in those illuminated switches for lights, etc, rather than the toggle switches I'm seeing in coach 685 we're considering? My wife really hates the dated look of those switches, but I'd imagine it would take a kings ransom to upgrade.

We love the thought of Murphy Beds...but are they always so low to the ground? They hit me mid-calf. They're surprisingly heavy to lift, too, but the extra room they create (rear "family room") cannot be beat! Of the three I've seen, I'm surprised there isn't an automated or at least counterbalanced lift.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com