You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fuel Additive

Anyone using the fuel additive Opti-Lube XPD? I know there are many choices for this type of product.

Would be feeding a 8V92.

Here's a link where I ran across it.

http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnica...e_test.pdf

marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

This is not particularly useful in our reality of vendors including necessary lubricity with pump delivered diesel fuel. The study used non-additive fuel as the baseline and so we are given no comparison to today's fuel at the pump situation. It is probably true that during the introduction stage some available fuel was inadequately lubricated, though the study gives us no figures as to the prevalence. Given all the happy truckers that demand more from the engines than we do, I'm not concerned at all with the available fuel. Besides, on our current trip some of the stations we stopped at had bio-diesel included at the pump - according to the study that is about as good as it gets; better than the additive they were promoting.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Guess I'm thinking that most of the diesel engines on the road today are designed for the current pump fuel, not a >25 year old engine.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

I've been using Howe's in my 6V92 for two years now. My engine runs about 2 degrees cooler in comparable situations than it used to, my oil usage has decreased, and my mpg increased ever so slightly. Obviously, these are purely anecdotal observations, but for me it is enough. I use Howe's mainly because it makes me feel better doing so, and provides a little more peace of mind. We have about 147,000 miles on our engine, so it is just reaching that magical point of being officially broken in....only took 32 years!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Marc

We use Opti Lube (ours is an 8V92 also)

I believe after talking to them recently that they have new data showing benefits to the product

Like Clark says, works for us for mileage improvement and the engine runs cooler

I use Diesel Kleen. I feel like Clark, makes me feel better and a little more peace of mind.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

http://www.cen-pe-co.com/Products/CenPeC...tives.html

I've been using these products for 30 years. Not cheap, not readily available, but very high quality. Never had a fuel injector problem or fuel gelling.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

HoosierDaddy - which product have you been using?

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

I have used all of the lubricants. I started out using the Super Diesel Klenz. When Power Flo Klenz was introduced I switched to that. I have no experience with the other diesel fuel additives. Years ago I did a detailed fuel economy test. The results were positive enough that I was convinced that the additive at least paid for itself. Currently I have a 1995 Chevrolet 6.5 TD with 255,000 miles. The pump was replaced at 70,000 and 110,000 miles. Both times because of electrical problems. I have rebuilt injectors once at 110,000 miles. My Dodge Ram 3500 (which gets A LOT of hard pulling) has 145,000 miles with no pump or injector problems. I realize those experiences may not be extraordinary but I have been satisfied with the performance. I know the lube engineer at Central Petroleum Company. He is a "straight-up" guy who knows his business.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.