You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front & Tag axle wheel bearings

I put mine in between the full & minimum line. Also make sure the vent hole in the plug is open. Blow some air through it. Several people have come to my house & complained of oil soiling their wheels. We removed some oil & to my knowledge that corrected the issue.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve,
My oil level now is slightly above the min. I'm going to see how that works. After I travel for awhile my front wheels will get hot enough where it is uncomfortable to hold you hand on them for very long. I presume that comes from the disc brakes?? Again we live and learn. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
Are you feeling that much heat thru the Kane hub covers? If so, something is causing more heat than what sounds normal. Do both sides get that hot? I'd be looking at the bearings and front brakes closely.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

there are several different resevour hub caps i have found

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I am not feeling any heat through the kane covers, just wheels behind kane covers. I have traveled with others and felt their wheels and they were same way?? This was on the way to Spearfish last year. If you feel there is a problem I will go to Newell and them checked out.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Tom, My hub caps have a rubber plug about the size of a dime. My Tag are more like a half dollar. The oil coming out is not off color, but as comes out as in the bottle. I am thinking seriously about going to Newell and having the rotors turned. After a 130,000 that might need to be done.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
I can't say I have ever felt the rim itself. I would jack up a front wheel and spin it. Listen for any bearing noise. See if there is any brake drag. If no noise and no brake drag you are probably ok. Aluminum is a good conductor of heat so maybe it is just brake heat if no other problem found. I'll check my front wheels when I take my coach out.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Whenever I stop for a break I use my infrared thermometer and check all my tires and wheels. That's about the easiest way to see if a brake is hanging up or bearing going bad.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest,
Do you remember what kind of wheel temperatures you get on a average temp day?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Don't really remember but probably around 100-120 F

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337