You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide gaps

Richard, you just proved the great value of this forum. That is some very good information. On another note, I have an appointment at Newell on July 8th, but they told me they do not adjust valves. They would refer me to a Detroit dealer that does.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I think since Richard is now retired that he should offer a mobile engine and suspension service. I know he has the knowledge and tools. Well if he doesn't have the tools all we have to do is have the wives take Rhonda out for the day Smile

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I just talked with Richard and my world is NOT coming to an end. I feel much better. You are correct he is a heck of an asset to the forum.

Chester, Newell will send you abut 30 miles down the road to Vinita. I believe that is the town. Anyway I would have Newell pull the floor for you before you go, then go back and have them put it back as it should be. I don't mean all the way out. Leave the piece of plywood in there after Newell removes the 4 bolts holding it in place.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell, thanks for that information. My coach has closets across the back over the engine, and my king size bed may have to be moved to lift the door over the engine. Someone has suggested that I cut the door in half to be able to slip it out from under the bed. I will ask the Newell guys what they think.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester, my bet is nothing will have to be cut. I think they build these things thinking one will have to get to top of the engine at some times in their life. Leave it to them. The carpet is pretty easy to rip up. I've done it twice and getting pretty good at it, and putting it back down. I hope it will be the last. Maybe I will just put a zipper in it.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,

What was the outcome after torquing the head? Did it fix the coolant loss?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Have not got it back yet. Have an issue with a hydraulic leak and have a part ordered. Will let you know when I get the coach back. He is very busy and takes longer to get things done than I like. Would be pushing him harder if needed to go somewhere. In another day or so going to have a talk with him. It is not setting outside and is a bay that is closed at night as it would be in my storage. I do want it back and want it back soon. Will keep you updated.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Got the coach back today and for now most all seems to be OK. Took a little longer than first planned. Berned had to work on some other coaches that were there before me that took longer to repair than he thought. But it was in a bay and plugged into 50 amps as it would be if at home so not worry about that end of. However glad to get it back.
On mine he changed the large coolant and hoses. I had him change out the four black handle cut offs to the Aqua Hot and front heater and replace the hoses from the engine to the cut offs but not the hoses from the cut off to the AH and heater. If they ever leak I will just turn them off. Of course put all new coolant in system and filter.
I also had a hydraulic leak so drained the fluid and replace replace filter and four new hoses with new fluid.
He retorqued the head bolts, adj. the valves and Jake brakes. This seemed to stop the coolant leak. Will know more about that after I drive it awhile.
I am still having jake brake problem however. Going over tomorrow and let him test drive it. He said it is not under the valve cover, because he made sure of that. Could be the switch or something else. This has been going on for some times and I have been just gearing it down on steep hill, which works about as well. So we will see if we can find that problem. Sometimes small problems are harder to find than major ones.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

(05-08-2014, 05:09 AM)qcj Wrote:  I have an appointment with Newell the Monday before our gathering in Ark. to check the gaps on my slides along a few other things such as air bags, etc.  It seems that the gap at the bottom of both slides are much lower than at the top.  They are almost touching the body.  Mike at Newell said they would check the plastic inserts that they ride on for wear. Has anyone else had this problem?

We need to replace the plastic insert on the front side of the bedroom slide in our 1997 Newell. The slide is dragging on that side. How did this get accomplished at the factory? We are very handy and hope to do this repair on our own.

Thanks in advance on your guidance.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

Are you talking about the plastic bearing pad that the entire room rides on? Or the plastic rail that the ceiling fan assembly slides on when the room goes in and out?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )