You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Delo 100 40W

I was discussing oil with new found Newell friends so I just wanted to bring this discussion up for them. The price at O'Reilly Auto has gone up but still looks to be a good supplier.
For those of us with 2 Stroke Diesels remember we need different oil than the rest of them!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Dear Jon, We've had #277 (1991) since last August. It only has 173,000 miles on it, but we are interested in your oil trial. Any results yet? Thanks! Danny

(05-19-2014, 06:21 AM)77newell Wrote:  This message is to let everyone know of a trial I'm doing that goes against all the mantra of single weight engine oil. I'm running Rotella full synthetic T-6 5-w-40 oil in my two stroke 8V92 1993 engine this season. Looking at the specs from Detroit Diesel for approved oil the T6 seems to meet all of them. The critical ones seem to be low sulphated ash and high shear viscosity. I was told that if I made this change my oil consumption would skyrocket. I just made a 2000 mile trip and so far I can detect no consumption at all. At the end of this year I will sample the oil and see what has happened to it over the year. I will post my results on this forum.

There is currently no way to certify new oils for our two strokes and there is no standard way to verify that oils originally certified and approved for these engines still are valid. The reason being that the sole engine used to test these oils has died and will not be replaced. As such there is no way to prove existing certified oils are still good except for meeting the physical specs that T6 also meets. Oil technology has changed a lot recently and I think it's possible that modern lubricants may meet our needs even if unable to be certified for our engine and I'm going to try to find out. If the short term test pans out favorably then in future years I'll pull random (read that as easily accessible) air box covers and inspect the ring grooves on the pistons for ash buildup. We'll see.

The thread "Rotella T6 in an 8V92" in the "Drivetrain" forum on this site contains the record so far. I will be testing the oil again this fall and plan to change it at that time. I have added 2qts more oil. I believe almost all usage is due to a small oil leak that has been present since I've owned the coach.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Hello Danny-
Saw a coach that looked very similar to yours few days ago....North bound on I-35 in NE OKC, OK....was that you?
Cheers,
Jeff

1996 Coach #422 Fulltiming

What are the best oil filters for an 8v92? The delo 100-40-1 in AZ is $19.99 a gallon. Is there any other oil manufacturers people recommend.

Also. How many quarts, or gallons are gurus using on an oil change?

I would stick with the Delo single grade 40 weight oil in an 8V92. I believe my 8V92 holds 7.5 gallons in the engine plus 4.5 gallons in the refill tank if it is empty (which mine never is but I always top it off when I change the oil). There is a sight tube on the oil refill tank that will give you an indication of how much it will need to top it off.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

We have been running Mobil 1240 40W. Our oil change place bought a drum just for us. We ran out and had to get oil changed at Speedco in Kingman , AZ a few weeks ago. They did not have 40W in stock so I got hold of the Rebel Oil jobber in Kingman. They keep a few cases of the 4 1gal jugs in stock in Las Vegas. They sent 2 cases down to Kingman for us on next day stock truck. It was Conoco Phillips Unocal 40W. So far it seems to be out performing the Mobil product with virtually no consumption in +/- 3K miles. We did get a discount from Speedco for furnishing our own oil. They did a great job & I would not hesitate recommending them if you are in the area & need an oil change & lube.

We have been running Mobil 1240 40W. Our oil change place bought a drum just for us. We ran out and had to get oil changed at Speedco in Kingman , AZ a few weeks ago. They did not have 40W in stock so I got hold of the Rebel Oil jobber in Kingman. They keep a few cases of the 4 1gal jugs in stock in Las Vegas. They sent 2 cases down to Kingman for us on next day stock truck. It was Conoco Phillips Unocal 40W. So far it seems to be out performing the Mobil product with virtually no consumption in +/- 3K miles. We did get a discount from Speedco for furnishing our own oil. They did a great job & I would not hesitate recommending them if you are in the area & need an oil change & lube.

(05-19-2014, 06:21 AM)77newell Wrote:  This message is to let everyone know of a trial I'm doing that goes against all the mantra of single weight engine oil. I'm running Rotella full synthetic T-6 5-w-40 oil in my two stroke 8V92 1993 engine this season. Looking at the specs from Detroit Diesel for approved oil the T6 seems to meet all of them. The critical ones seem to be low sulphated ash and high shear viscosity. I was told that if I made this change my oil consumption would skyrocket. I just made a 2000 mile trip and so far I can detect no consumption at all. At the end of this year I will sample the oil and see what has happened to it over the year. I will post my results on this forum.

There is currently no way to certify new oils for our two strokes and there is no standard way to verify that oils originally certified and approved for these engines still are valid. The reason being that the sole engine used to test these oils has died and will not be replaced. As such there is no way to prove existing certified oils are still good except for meeting the physical specs that T6 also meets. Oil technology has changed a lot recently and I think it's possible that modern lubricants may meet our needs even if unable to be certified for our engine and I'm going to try to find out. If the short term test pans out favorably then in future years I'll pull random (read that as easily accessible) air box covers and inspect the ring grooves on the pistons for ash buildup. We'll see.

Dear Jon, How is your test going?

Danny Goss
#277 1991 towing 09 dodge p/u

Dear Jon,

How's the results so far?

Best wishes,
Danny
#277 1991 towing 09 Dodge p/u

As I last reported on this site somewhere; after 3 years and maybe 9000 miles the Blackstone test results where still good and they thought it could be used another year given the way I was using it. Oil consumption is minimal even with a small leak that has been there since I got the coach. The only thing that seems to have changed is that I've lost two opportunites to scootch under the coach.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed