You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Original Back Up Camera on 84 is shot

Thanks. I was considering splicing into the existing cable but the wires of the new cable are so slight that I was afraid the solder joints would not take the vibrations. I will do more exploring. Peter

I used the old cable and soldered the end connections since the wires are small. Problem solved.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I had valance lights front and back that were also channels for
Wires. I followed those. I could take panels off in the closets, kitchen cupboards and there they were So just take your time and you can run them without cutting anything. Just a bunch of unscrewing and once in a while developing a pull wire with a clothes hanger etc

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I whimped out.  Soldered 18 gauge wires to the 5 pin at each end and tied into the original 15 conductor cable.  The new cable is shielded and the old is not.  Hope this is not an issue.  Plan to cut new camera into plexiglass to allow better image quality.  Will report results when completed.  Pete

If your new camera has the IR led lights for night viewing don't mount them behind plexiglass or it will just cause glare and make the monitor hard to see at night. On my '93 I removed the plexiglass. On my '98 I mounted the camera on the plexiglass. Or was it the other way around?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

It was the other way around Smile

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

On my 93 I mounted the camera to the body within the recess then cut a hole in the plexiglass to allow the camera to protrude through. I then painted the plexiglass.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I replaced mine with a new one from RearViewSafety and ran the new cable.
As I recall, the cable left the camera & went to a box - then towards the front.

The cable went down the passenger side at the top of the wall then down beside the windshield.

I'm now considering getting a new system that can record 4 cameras. (I'm thinking the video will be handy if any of those knuckle heads ever hit me when they are cutting in front.)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I soldered 18 guage to the original cable ends which were too fragile to do in place. I plan to cut the plexiglass and let the camera protrude through enough to have a good image. Will report result.

I will put in a 4 channel recorder as well......driving has become the art to avoid idiots....

https://www.facebook.com/talkcdl/videos/...494663915/

MG