You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

adjust Detroit valves

Ron, I have delayed pulling the carpet until sometime this winter when I am not using the coach and can get the carpet put back. I would like to know if your coach has the rear walk in closet, rear bath, or is like mine that has the three clothes closets and drawers. If yours is similar to mine, then I would very much like to learn about the access. Same question for anyone else that has a similar coach.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(11-01-2012, 08:19 AM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Ron, I have delayed pulling the carpet until sometime this winter when I am not using the coach and can get the carpet put back. I would like to know if your coach has the rear walk in closet, rear bath, or is like mine that has the three clothes closets and drawers. If yours is similar to mine, then I would very much like to learn about the access. Same question for anyone else that has a similar coach.

Mine is the rear walk in closet. Took less than 10 minute to expose the top of the motor. Removed carpet and 4 screws. Did not take the alum piece off just work the valve cover out. Put everything back in 15 minute. Did not even need any carpet tools. Carpet went back down with a putty knife. Where is your floor raise in the rear?

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I have attached a photo of the aft end just past the bed, and the floor is raised. My concern is that the bed frame has to be removed since I do not have a walk-in closet. If it will help, I can take more photos that show the floor more clearly. Thanks for any ideas.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

(11-01-2012, 12:05 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  I have attached a photo of the aft end just past the bed, and the floor is raised. My concern is that the bed frame has to be removed since I do not have a walk-in closet. If it will help, I can take more photos that show the floor more clearly. Thanks for any ideas.
Is the raised part under the bed frame? The part of the floor that come out will be about 24" wide and 38" deep measure from where the raise floor start. This exposes the valve cover which then can easily be removed. Take another pictures or 2 and that might help.

Ron, I have attached a photo which shows the area between the bed and the closet area. There is 38" between the carpeted back panel and the end of the ledge. I measured to box above the engine, and it is 34" long. I am interested in what you think about the trap door before I start tearing out carpet.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

(11-03-2012, 12:19 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Ron, I have attached a photo which shows the area between the bed and the closet area. There is 38" between the carpeted back panel and the end of the ledge. I measured to box above the engine, and it is 34" long. I am interested in what you think about the trap door before I start tearing out carpet.
The access hole will be in the center of the coach. If you pull the carpet up starting left corner of the 38" line drawn I am pretty sure the door will not be under the bed frame. Measure to the center of the coach and go 12" each way and that about where the door is. You can give me a call if you like. The carpet will go back easy if you pull up at the corner to look for the door.

I sent an email to Newell service asking if I had to remove the bed to get access to the trap door above the engine. They responded yes, that I had to move the bed, but suggested I cut the door into so that I would not have to move the bed in the future. Of course, they suggest a plate should be place to secure the two halves. Talking to Ron Skeen, he made a good suggestion which is to remove the carpet to see the trap door, and then cut it in place to avoid moving the bed. Makes sense, and I hope this posting is helpful for those that have the same closed arrangement.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey