You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Let's Play "what do these do and when should I use them"

Tom & Clarke,
The way that the Merge Switch works on our '82 is different from what Tom is describing.
The Batteries are Merged only when the Switch is used. I like this setup because it keeps the batteries separated. If I am traveling I do use the Merge when using the Refrigerator/Freezer in the bay to keep the house batteries up. I am considering installing another alternator just for the house bank.
Our engine bank and house bank are separate banks with different charging systems. This is how our boat was setup and so I understand and like it this way but our '82 doesn't have the same needs as the newer coaches.
We do not have an electric fuel pump on either the generator or the main. I do however have a solenoid and we also have a pneumatic throttle and shifter. It does help to use the auxiliary air compressor to build up air pressure before I start the main just so that I have a throttle but it is not necessary. We do not have a stop switch, simply an ignition type switch like Clarke states.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Steve.....we LOVE low tech, don't we?

(09-08-2012, 08:10 AM)prairieschooner Wrote:  Tom & Clarke,
The way that the Merge Switch works on our '82 is different from what Tom is describing.
The Batteries are Merged only when the Switch is used. I like this setup because it keeps the batteries separated. If I am traveling I do use the Merge when using the Refrigerator/Freezer in the bay to keep the house batteries up. I am considering installing another alternator just for the house bank.
Our engine bank and house bank are separate banks with different charging systems. This is how our boat was setup and so I understand and like it this way but our '82 doesn't have the same needs as the newer coaches.
We do not have an electric fuel pump on either the generator or the main. I do however have a solenoid and we also have a pneumatic throttle and shifter. It does help to use the auxiliary air compressor to build up air pressure before I start the main just so that I have a throttle but it is not necessary. We do not have a stop switch, simply an ignition type switch like Clarke states.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com