You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Series 60 engine temps too high

newell had one company make all the radiators and charge air coolers. they had done the calcuations to supposedly have enough cooling.

i think on the series 60's coaches it is adequate. i do know they made two sizes of radiators for the 8v92 coaches. one just a little bigger than the other.

the challenge with the 9v92 coaches to me is the rear radiator and that on most all of them it was a direct drive fan. that is why you have to gear down going up a hill when you slow down so as to keep the rpms up on the fan. the series 60 has a two speed fan and is hydraulically controlled. i also know some have retrofitted the 8v92 engines to a clutch type fan. i think wally did this if i remember right.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Marc

Had the same issue with our HT740 4 speed behind our 8V92
(We do pull a 30 foot stacker)

Went down to Houston shop last winter thanks to a referral from a couple of the Newell Guru guys and rebuilt my tranny and added a tranny radiator cooler behind the engine radiator (which we had already recored)

Problem is the original rear radiators only have a small space at the bottom of the radiator for the cooling of the tranny oil to run through. Additionally, that space does not have any fins for the oil to run through and cool, only a "tube" running through the bottom of the radiator I.e. not enough space for cooling coupled with no fins to dissipate the oil to cool; the job does not get done