You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Series 60 engine temps too high

Ran over to the local True Value hardware to get a fitting. Standard 3/8" flare connection. Hooked the 2 fuel hoses together, cleaned up the engine and waiting for it to dry to check for leaks.
Talked with Mike at Newell and he said "if it was my coach I'd bypass it, but since it came from Detroit on the engine......"
He also said the Davco showing full while running then half or so when not running is normal.
And he said it sounds like the radiator is dirty and to clean it, which I did yesterday. He also said it sounds like the engine is running normal, thermostats, etc. based on what I told him. So if I don't have any fuel leaks we'll plan to head down 285 to Creede. First chance I can get to a good Detroit shop I'll have the radiator flushed and refilled.
And thanks Marc for that great explanation. Yes I was thinking of a gas engine and you cleared the fog out of my brain!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Ok, engine fired right up, fittings where I connected the 2 fuel hoses are not leaking. But the pro-check is leaking, probably from the top hose that is the fuel return to the tank. So I'll get another fitting and plug that hose and should be good to go.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Amazing what one finds once you start working on things...Smile

Good luck!

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

The ProCheck air removal valve is cheap and is strongly suggested by Detroit they are not removed but replaced when leaking, so you may want to re consider and buy one when you can.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I often see coolant temp fluctuations between 196 and 206 so those do not seem high to me. Watching the changes in temps used to make me nervous, now I only get nervous if it gets above 214! Some hills will pull a high of 212.
Onward.....

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com

Interesting notes here. I am on my first Series 60 and not used to these temps vs my old 8v92/6v92

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Note to all I had a chance to run the coach without the stacker or boat behind it.. There is a 10 degree difference in temperatures between towing and not towing.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I hesitate to post my temps for my 6V92, because they are way different. On the flat in moderate temps (90, or below), with, or without the trailer, my coolant temp runs around 182-185. Climbing a 4-6% grade they go up to 197-199. Above a 6% grade I've seen them get as high as 219 when climbing for extended distances (Wolf Creek Pass back in 2009).....most recently (May 17th) when we did the 10 mile climb from Carson City into the Tahoe Basin.....the grade ran from a low of 6% to over 8% for 10 miles. Tranny temp on the flat runs about 160.....on the May 17th climb the tranny temp got over 200. The oil temps pretty much follow the coolant temps. On super hot days (98 to over 100) the coolant temps run in the mid to high 190's. Of course, the coach only weighs in at just under 30,000 lbs. I clean my radiator every few months (most recently in February), and will probably clean it again before we leave Tahoe.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Is it possible the radiators are a bit undersized, either in surface area of number of cores wide? Has anyone done a retrofit ( or did Newell offer a larger radiator ) to increase cooling capacity to offset the power on the hills, because it's there, or do we just live with the gremlin on the hills and hope our sending units are accurate. :0

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

hi clarke, i think your temp gauge reading of 219 is not accurate. those gauges are not real accurate. my 2 cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH