You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Hybrid over heating issue

Sounds like you were not running VMSpc. I have mine set up with audio alarms for low oil pressure and high coolant temperatures. I run my coach on the VMSpc rather than the dash gauge and don't run mine as hot as you do. I start taking alternative measures as 205-207 degrees. My dash temperature gauge has gone stupid on me so I need to replace it. It use to run fairly close to the VMSpc until about 200 then climb faster than the VMSpc. Now it is just unreliable. Sometimes it tracks VMSpc and sometimes it reads 10-30 degrees higher than the VMSpc. The dash gauge and the DDEC readings use different sensors in different locations but my infrared temperature gun shows VERY close readings at the two locations.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Sorry to hear Clint. Hope Fran faired well during the ordeal... We got delayed in Branson with an a/c that went bad at the Rally. Leaving in the a.m. for NM. The RE deal went sour, so looking again. Will call you guys when we get out there..

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Fran did better than I did. Sorry to hear RE didn't work out. There are a couple of places for sale where Fran's sister-in-law lives with RV garages attached to houses. Only thing is they are in town & not on big acreage. Lot's of raw land available around here also.

Ouch!!!
Major overhaul in store at the least. Cylinders are scored & showing some metal on 1 thru 3 rod journals. I keep forgetting that 8V92's are not so much off the self engines anymore. Have located 1 complete drop in for +/-16K or long block 9.3K plus core. Only 1year parts only warranty. Some 1 year P&L inclusive for +/- 18K & 9.5K for long block but 7-10 day turn around once they get old engine to work on. Stewart Stevenson is working up quote for complete overhaul but won't have quote done until in the morning. Anyone have a good source for 8V92's?

What does the crank look like?

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

They haven't got that far into it yet.

Clint, sorry to hear this. Keep us posted.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

That is a real bummer Clint. I can imagine how frustrated I would be in the same situation.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Clint

Had an issue with our 8V92 last year

Looked at reman (8V92)from National Power Supply #866-503-7090

Ended up rebuilding ours as the block was good along with new heads

We used Pacific Power in Spokane (mechanic had 35 years experience and knew 8V92's inside and out)

Start to finish 52 hours with complete overhaul

That is looking like the path we are going to take. Although I did locate several complete running 8V92's for 3K each. They are mechanical & not DDECII though. Also no warranty. I should have numbers on in house overhaul from Stewart Stevenson tomorrow. If they do it, they will send it to thier facility in Wichita Falls as the techs there have 20+ years each with 2 stroke overhauls.