You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8V92 Hybrid over heating issue

You can post on both the bus conversion forums to see what they know about. Those guys doing the self conversions are mostly using shells with two strokers.

It is really a crap shoot when buying a running engine but you already have acknowledged that.

Sorry to hear about the damage, but the engine may have been getting ill for sometime to see that. The DDs are amazing in how they will continue to run even when sick.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Part of me wants to think it was an on going thing that just finally went kaput! But then the logical part of me says" you should have noticed something was wrong in the 38K miles we have driven it". I have never had oil analysis done so hard to say either way I guess. In retrospect, we did have the blower go bad on our trip back from FL when we first purchased coach. Perhaps a previous owner had run it really hot & low on oil & it was able to spool out another 40K or so miles before final catastrophic failure. Will continue to post more info as it becomes available.

It is amazing how quickly an engine can overheat on a hard pull. I would suspect that the majority of diesel coaches with rebuilt engines at less than 200,000 miles were due to an overheat situation, frequently, but not always, the result of a catastrophic failure of a hose or radiator during a long climb.

I feel for anyone who experiences an engine failure in any coach but especially one in an older coach where a substantial percentage of the value of the coach is spent to get it back on the road again with little increase in the coach value afterwards.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Just my 2 cents here and I know you love your 2 sroke Clint, I picked up my 76 with the repowered the 8.3 cummins 4 stroke. My first 480 miles I filled it with 40 gal of fuel. Works out to about 12mpg, I have about 1500 miles to go so I will avg this to be more accurate but shouldnt be under 10.
. Avg speed 70-75 mph and lots of power. The best part is seeing the look on truckers faces when they see me passing them in this old classic doing 75-80!! The temp will come up some if I hold that speed but not much over 200. As for the value , I think it has substantially increased with this power train rather than if I were to have the old 555 rebuilt.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Thanks for input Kieth. Resale value is not usually a big thing for me. I usually just put them "out to pasture" when they are completely worn out. Remember the "Shangrila" LOL. Sounds like your 4 stroke is doing great. Are you going to redo inside?

Some of you may know how much work would be involved in repowering a v8 two stroke with an inline 6 cyl 4 stroke. I always assumed there was not enough head space for the upright engine to make this possible without significant rework to the bedroom.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

You are correct Richard. The 8V92's had a steep hump in the rear to allow the rear radiator to sit in place but the Series 60 required a raised floor covering a significantly larger area. The Series 60 is 8" shorter (front to back), 12" narrower, but 3" taller. NOTE: the external dimensions are the same on the 12.7L and the 14.0L Series 60.

While 3" doesn't seem like much, there just isn't much room above the 8V92 to start with. That was the reason for the revised floorplans with the raised rear closet when the Series 60's were introduced. The radiator was moved to the drivers side, the engine moved rearward and the floor above the engine was raised, as I recall in coach 363, a 1994 model.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I had an 8v92 mechanical in my prior coach. I have never heard the word hybrid used. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Would it be possible to mount the series 60 at an angle? Kinda like the old Dodge slant six.
That might put the height at the same as the 8v92.
Ernie, I know Clints secret but I'm not telling Smile

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The series 60 is very tall, one might have to measure it up and possibly raise the engine bay. Either way it is a lot of work When I repowered mine with the 8.3 I lowered my engine cover about 5 or 6 inches.
These engines will work great in any single axle coach up to 40ft. The engine in my 76 is out of a 98 Bluebird 38 or 40ft not sure. Birds are generally heavier. The older coaches are alot simpler. IMHO totally worth it. My old 555 still ran good, just no power and didn't want to drive it anywhere in fear it would grenade. Plus it was a fun project.Big Grin

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd