You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Another pleased Newell customer.

Thanks Chester for starting this alignment thread! I would like to resurrect the thread to get driving updates on your coaches. I truly dislike the way coach 478 is driving. We took her out on a trip last weekend and I was fighting it the whole way. Can someone share the 'string' method and how to measure the coach for alignment? The mechanic that changed the oil last week said the front tie rods (? Or maybe it was the drag links... ) were worn and needed replacing...
What parts usually need to be replaced, where can I buy them and how much does all this cost please?
I have a trip in 30 days and really need this coach to drive correctly.
Anyone know of a great place to take the coach near Huntsville, AL (Anywhere in AL, GA, TN)?
I need some engine work done also (valves and bolts)...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

When steering parts get badly worn, steering can become a nightmare. Fortunately, all of the front end steering parts such as tie rod ends and drag links should be available.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have had in the past used rocket city truck service for minor adjustments ... they will give you a estimate before the work they are a little northwest of huntsville not sure on miles between 10-15 mile I think

Billy & Starla Hoffman
Poteau Oklahoma
 2003 Newell #659

Two years ago, Newell replaced my 2 tie rod assemblies for $1,400 for parts. I have not been able to pull out labor cost.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

You made out better than I. The cost for replacing the tie rod ends and the drag link ends is about 1200 from this source http://store.supersteerparts.com/search....84&x=0&y=0

And I paid a local truck shop 1000 to replace the parts and align the front end.

So far no one I know of has come up with a source to replace the two ends on the center tie rod on the Dana IFS 84 suspension. If anyone ever gets the old one off, please measure the top and bottom diameter of the taper, plus the length of the taper. With those measurements we can source a tie rod end, and make the connecting bar.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(09-15-2016, 03:39 PM)br549hoffman Wrote:  I have had in the past used rocket city truck service for minor adjustments ... they will give you a estimate before the work they are a little northwest of huntsville not sure on miles between 10-15 mile I think

Thank you for this info!  Sorry I missed it!  I will bring the coach to them if I need adjustments!  I want to learn to do this myself so I can become OCD like the rest of the guys! Lol

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Since this thread has resurrected, I have learned from @"Dean Patterson (texas2dean)" that the two links in the center of the DANA front end are adjustable if they have excessive play.

The center tie rod has to be removed from the link. Pull the cotter key from the link. There is a screw inside the link that will tighten it on the ball. Reinsert the cotter key to keep the adjustment screw from moving.

This is very good news since no one is aware of a replacement part.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )