You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant expansion tank

Not only does the heat from the engine do a number on the plastic, but the UV from sunlight coming through the rear louvers is the real culprit.

Steve, that is really really nice. I now have tank envy.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Very nice tank indeed!! Far superior over plastic any day in my books. A way to cut down on polishing time and hard work, especially if there are nicks and scratches is very similar to doing body work using a feather edger sander, start out with 180 grit followed by 220 then 320
Up to 600 or better then hit it with the compounds and polishing wheels. Maintain the finish with autosol. Itl look like new chrome!!

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Nice! Aluminum may even help transfer some heat.

Bob Miller
Previous owner of #390

Looks great Steve

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

Steve, one more thing that shines in that engine bay is scary! When I looked in there it was like the fun house at the carnival...of course I think one of them made me look thinner! LOL. Great job.

Heather and I were thinking of you and Suzy today when we pulled in Lambeau Field for a tour...Your colors and beautiful coach would have been let in the players parking area...Just love your coach.

By the way, Lambeau tour was excellent even for non-Packer fans.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

Bill,
Glad to see the family is having a good time. I do agree with your slenderizing premise. In fact I can guarantee the loss of another twenty pounds if you will pay to have my hydraulic tank chromed.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Nice work!

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Great job Steve, our '81 did not come with a coolant recovery system, so we found the "150" Arize system and I installed it...However, now I'm jealous and can't wait for the plastic tank to breakhttp://newellgurus.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Ki and Wyn Punilei
"Have Newell Will Travel"
'81 Newell "Winter Demo", 40', 6V92TA
'11 Honda CR-V
"Squeak the Feline Princess"

I thought I had looked for chafing, but not hard enough. On the way back from the rally, we developed a small coolant leak. I noticed it during one of my rest stop walk arounds. It was in one of the heater hoses off the valved manifold. So, I was lucky in that I could valve it out. We didn't really need dash heat in Texas and Mississippi last week. It was caused by one hose chafing on another. While working on this today, I found another heater hose with a worn spot. I have some hoses to replace.

Just another reminder to poke around underneath the engine and in the bay looking for hose rubs. Of course, crib it up for safety.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Steve. Ordered a tank today. The plastic one is failing.

The folks at this shop are super easy to deal with.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad