You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

76 Newell trip

Some of you already know I flew down to missouri a couple of weeks back and drove my new repowered 76 back up to Grande Prairie Alberta. We installed a 330 hp 8.3 cummins turbo diesel inline 6 and a allison MD3060 world trans. 98 vintage (the last year of the mechanical 8.3 engines and the best injector pumps that came out) It was a 2400 mile trip, the coach ran awsome and great on fuel.
It started out not to great, I had a connecting flight from Denver to Springfield that got cancelled so I ended up staying in the airport overnight, (not fun!!) The airline wanted to fly me to Chicago then back to springfield for later that day. I checked flights and they had one flying to Tulsa early that morning and my friend Mike, ( also the mechanic that did all the work to the coach) agreed to pick me up there as his place is not too far from there anyway. Well it turned out my bags ended up flying to Springfield so we had to drive there and pick them up.
What a royal pita!!
With all that behind me we spent a half a day getting the 76 ready for the road, I was up for two days with no sleep by this time. The next morning I set out for Sioux falls SD, about an 8 hr trip, I stopped a few times to check on things (leaks etc.) It was all good and dry. One mirror had a loose set screw and that was it. I cruised at about 70-75 mph all the way there and met up with Todd Flickema and we checked out each others coaches for a couple of hours, he brought us pulled pork that was delicious, thanks again Todd. He did a real nice job on his 84 and it was a fun time meeting.
The next day I set out for Billings Montana that was another 8 hrs or so, same thing 70-75 mph until middle afternoon the temp started to climb up a bit more than usual (200-205) so I slowed down to 60-65. I had no idea how hot it was outside because I had the roof airs on the whole trip. I past a sign about 1h before Billings and it was 96 deg and it was getting close to sundown.
The next morning I started out for the border, it was quite windy that day so I was back up to 70-75 again temps stayed around 180. I got to the border mid afternoon expecting the import process to take a couple of hours.
I took my paperwork into the us side where they stamp the title for export, that took all of about 5 mins, went to my broker with that and within 10 mins they had my paperwork ready for the canada side for import. Took the paper work into them and took a seat for a few minutes.
Not even 10 mins the called me up and handed me my imports papers and said with a smile, have a nice day!!
From there I drove just past Calgary and stayed in the small town of Dimsdale just south of Reddeer Ab. Travelling through Calgary was very busy because stampede week was in full swing.
From Dimsdale I was passing through Edmonton that morning so I called up my buddy Ed Dezz ( he bought my 87 Newell from me last year) pic below. Had lunch with him and of course discussed our coaches quite a bit.
From there I arrived home at about 5 that afternoon.
Other than my flight it was a great trip and this 76 Newell is a very comfortable coach to drive and runs awsome.
It does need cosmetic work but mechanically its great.
Pics below...
Just leaving Mikes
Todds coach next to mine
Eds coach behind mine

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Glad the trip back in the Newell was better than the flights going down!!

Have fun with your repowered Newell.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

i spent a chunk of my working life on airplanes and got stranded, diverted, delayed and everything else you can imagine. so i totally understand that story.

as for hot outside. 96 degrees is just a cool spring day.....ha supposed to be in the 110 plus this week here in sunny phoenix.

the coach looks great. and i recognize the spot where you were with todd because i have stayed there as well. (if that was the fairgrounds)

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It is alot of fun to drive, especially when I pass someone and they give me that look, "how is it going that fast?" Lol
Almost every stop someone would come over and ask about the coach and had alot of thumbs ups. The body is completely original, I will put it back as close as it was, the worst is the rear bumper. It has a bit of a kink going on. The front just needs rechroming its perfectly straight.
It needs some paint in a few places so I will try and find some to match as close as I can. I have a buddy that is very creative with painting etc. So I will be taking it over there for that.
The flooring needs replacement and the dinette needs some work also. Its a bunk model and it will sleep like 10 people. When I get some time I will take everything out and start fresh with flooring and put it all back together replacing whatever it needs as I go.
I was so glad to get out of that stinkin airport, I was very impressed at how comfotable the ol'girl is to drive, I never got tired at all, just kick back and relax. A much better way to travel for sure, just takes longer.
96 deg was just before dark, I think it must have been hotter earlier.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd