You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Closed

Can we talk maintenance cost?

now that you have zeroed out the range of years.....you can scope out the differences between years etc, and decide what features are important to you and how many slides.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

One of the reasons that many folks, especially those who don't have the desire or possibly skills, to maintain a coach themselves buy a coach directly from Newell is to take advantage of their warranty. While routine maintenance, tires or batteries after 30 days, and certain other restrictions apply, Newell's 24 month, 24,000 mile pre-owned warranty can really limit your exposure to major repair bills.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Tom said: "You can scope out the differences between years etc, and decide what features are important to you and how many slides."

In as much as Newell is a custom built coach it doesn't have a standard/optional list of features like other coaches. Also, many write ups by dealers who are selling a Newell can be very skimp on information. Where can I find a list of features to give me some ideas?

You also said "how many slides." Yah how do I decide that? I want a large family room, kitchen, master bedroom, master bath and a 1/2 bath! Maybe the question is where wouldn't I want a slide? From what I've read Newell builds one of the best slide systems in the business. If I have a choice of more room or less room I'd choose more! Don't they always say The More The Merrier.

Michael, I've looked at the coaches Newell has available and have not ruled them out. But you certenly pay for that level of protection that is for sure!

Harry

Ok Harry check this out
http://www.newellcoachsales.com/default....s=Year&d=D

Then look at the original coach order & floor plan drawings. This is the things you ask for..

Jimmy

The difference between a 2 slide and 4 slide coach is basically you get more floorspace and maybe a bit more cabinet storage. For my wife and I a 2 slide is very comfortable. When you add 2 more slides on the passenger side then you start losing space in your camp site. Also the basements on that side are more difficult to get to.
And if you want a 4 slide coach then close up all slides and walk around and decide if you will be comfortable while traveling. There are some places where we overnight and don't open the slides. If you think that fits your lifestyle then make sure you can access whatever you need with the slides closed. Again it all depends on your lifestyle.
You just need to get out there and see some coaches. Most of the coaches at the factory will be mid to late 2000s with 3-4 slides. Although there might be a 2 slide there hiding.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

"how many slides" - The model year will help determine the availability of specific numbers of slides or vice versa. There are some important aspects of slides that will make a difference in your use of the coach. Here is my take, others may have different opinions, so I will again try to stick with facts:

1) the more slides, the more interior room you will have with the slides out,
2) single slide coaches will typically have 1 street side slide in the living room ALTHOUGH there was at least one single slide Newell with the only slide in the bedroom,
3) dual slide coaches will typically have 1 street side slide in the living room and 1 street side slide in the bedroom.
4) triple slide coaches will typically have 1 street side slide in the living room and 2 slides in the bedroom although there may again be some exceptions,
5) if you send time sitting outside your coach, curb side slides will reduce the outside room, especially 4 slide coaches.
6) many/most coaches with 2 slides in the bedroom, will be difficult to get around the bed with the slides in and some with retractable beds may be difficult to use if you ever need to spend the night where you can't extend even one slide (yes, I have been in RV sites that a single slide could not have possibly been extended due to bushes and trees.
7) 2 slides in the living room/salon can be more challenging with extra passengers since there are walls behind the driver and the passenger when the slides are in that reduce visibility for additional passengers and interfere somewhat with conversations (of course if you typically don't travel with another couple this could be a non-issue or even a positive.

Opinion: If you always spend the night at RV Parks with large sites, many of the quad-slide issues disappear. If you spend the night at rest stops, truck stops, older parks with very narrow sites, they would be more problematic. The floorplan can make a quad-slide either semi-useable with all slides in or almost unusable.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have been less slides are better promoter until I found Newell. The open space and comfort it provides is incredible. I know more slides more potential issues. They are mechanical and all mechanical things fail at some point. I do like that I. An pull my curb slides in to open up my camp space when I need to. We really liked our one slide Royale Prevo when we had that until the one slide would not come in. So we are all in 4 slides now.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Wow, now that is some kind of information and I'll need a little time to digest it all. Jimmy that is some kind of coach isn't it and looks to have it all and then some! I wonder what the list price must have been for a coach like that?

One very good point is what the slides do to the interior with the slides in. It is important to me to have access to the coach under power and with slides in. My wife will be very unhappy if she can't "walk the coach" with the slides in. I know there are times when you're parked and can't or don't want to set up the slides. You want to jump in bed and get some sleep and take off in the morning.

So what would you say I'd want? It's nice to know that you guys are more than just a pretty face! Smile

Harry

Hey can you use the master bath and/or half bath with the slides in? I can see me now "ok honey no problem I'll be able to pull over in another 50-60 miles"! I don't think so boys, that just sounds so wrong on so many levels!Undecided

Harry

Newell did amazing work and design with our coach. With the slides in we can get to everything except the wine glass cabinet. We have stayed slides in and it has been very comfortable. Looking at coaches slides on is very important. I had to complete a cross country trip 3 weeks with slides in. You can't see how this is in pictures and you need to be able to open cabinets, drawers, refrigerator, ect. Spending an hour or so in the coach slides in before you decide on it is something I would highly recommend.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex
Thread Closed