You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air operating systems

John,
Were you able to solve your air issues?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

Jon Kabbe and I are going over to John Curwick's in the morning to take a look at what he has going on.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

richard, can you pop over here when you get done. i have a few things i could use some help with

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Sure, just hold your finger over the leak till I get there.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Jon and I cleaned and lubed the sequence valve to fix the potty. The 12VDC air pump had a faulty well pump switch which was replaced. The door is weird. It appears there is some sort of magnetic piece inside of the pneumatic cylinder that pulls the door open and closed. The door is smooth if moved by hand. You can feel something "clunk" inside the pneumatic cylinder. Do any of you know anything about this kind of cylinder? It is new to me.

I can see why Newell used this arrangement to allow the door to be forced open if there was no air present.

John has a problem with the compressor governor on the engine compressor causing a pretty good leak. That should be fixed before any more leak hunts.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks for the feedback. Very nice gesture of you & Jon helping a fellow Guru!!!!!!!!!!!

My air doors are strictly an air cylinder.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I did a little reading last night. The cylinder is called a rodless magnetically coupled cylinder, and they are relatively common. You can see them in the McMaster Carr catalog.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Any advantage or disadvantage to this type as compared to the ones in our coaches?

Is John's repairable or does it have to be replaced?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Yes. You can break the magnetic coupling and force the door open in the case of being trapped.

I have the traditional rod cylinder too

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

RE: John's door: you also don't have to worry about getting injured by the door closing, it's a clever solution that I certainly would never have thought of. I've never seen anything like it.

Regarding repair, I believe the "repair" will consist of getting access to the inside of the tube and cleaning it thoroughly. Given the amount of water we observed in the air system I suspect it's just gunked up. A cleaning will be good for its soul.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed