You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air operating systems

I took a closer look at my 93 doors this morning and it has the same magnetic system. I never knew.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I would like to say thanks again to Richard and Jon for visiting me and helping to correct a few things on my coach. What a pair of great guys that I feel in debt to. I still have several issues to contend with, and each is a trial and error process. It does get frustrating sometimes too. It sure is nice to have a site like this and all of the nice and generous Guru's to turn to! Thanks to all!

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

I read this entire thread. I have a strange issue with only 1 toilet (1/2 bath) flapper valve that started today. The flapper valve is slapping shut with such velocity that it is splashing water out of the bowl onto the floor. I checked the gauge on the 12v air pump and it was 55 psi. The 110v gauge was around 90 psi. No other air system seems to be having any issue. Thoughts?

I drained the push button valve on my main train the in right front compartment with the 110v pump just a couple of days ago, and opened the right rear wheel well tank valve and let it spray air a few weeks ago. All the other tanks were probably drained at Newell last May during yearly PM, and are overdue. I need to put some effort in figuring out how I am going to crib the coach, so I can get under it, or find a shop that can. I will mess with the 2 tanks I can get to tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Mike,

Does the flapper behavior change if you temporarily lower the air pressure?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I recently lubricated the flapper valve and observed that it is spring loaded. It seems to me that adequate air pressure is needed to keep it open while it drains and allows it to close slowly. Mike, I assume that there is enough air to keep it open, but is exhausting too rapidly. Just guessing.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I adjusted the air pressure from 40 to 55 psi outside while my wife was flushing the toilet inside. Could not tell much difference. I finally set at 45 and went inside the adjust the toilet. Interestingly, it seems holding the handle up, instead of pushing down to flush invokes a more normal flapper closing. I wonder if the flushing valve is worn I the down stroke?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Mike, I don't know about handle direction, but I do know that new users on our coach have to be instructed to hold the handle until they here the sequence valve cycle. A short burst on the handle like one would use on a normal toilet handle like that results in a confused sequencing valve. On our coach you can get the toilet to overflow if you short cycle the flush handle.

Another thing to keep in mind is water pressure. High water pressure, such as hooked to city water and the pump on with our coach will result in a jammed sequencing valve, and a corresponding flood.

When you look at how the sequencing valve works, the high pressures make sense. The sequencing valve is a spool valve that slides back in forth in a bore. There are several chambers in the bore. Some of them control water flow, and some of them control air flow. The activation of the handle moves the spool valve all the way to the end of the bore. The spool then moves back to it's original resting position. As it moves the spool moves past different chambers and outlets in the bore which control air and water flow. If the sequencing valve sticks then water or air flow does not do what it is designed to do. Knowing that the retraction of the spool is influenced by both air and water pressure explains why Microphor is explicit in their instructions about the water and air pressures fed to the toilet. Of course, I didn't pay much heed to the instructions until I mopped the floor a few times.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard, thanks for the explanation on the sequencing valve! Maybe like Jon's I need to clean and lube the sequencing valve as this toilet as always been a bit troublesome. In the beginning the flapper would stick open, it actually emptied my fresh water tank once when I was in a hurry and I did not take the time to make sure it finished its cycle properly. I lubricated the flapper and adjusted the sequencing, and all was well until this this weekend. As I am writing this I may have figured it out. Last week I fixed the 12v water pump and was running on it, till late yesterday when I switched back to the 110v pump. As you mentioned it is the combination of air and water. The 12v pump probably has a lower psi. All seems to be working now - go figure. there are just too many variables to be prescriptive in some of these systems...

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Yeah just make sure when you take the sequencing valve out that you drain all water and air pressure. Or you will get a shower. Don't ask how I know.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

I've read this entire thread. What a great resource for us to reference and educate the me, a new owner.  I have a rig that used to be in Florida (best I can tell) and has multiple air leaks. I'm doing my repairs on the west coast but do not intend to have boundaries while traveling and expect humidity at times.

I'm learning by jumping into the deep end, as it sounds like most of you have.

110v compressor cycles, if left on, every 2 1/2 minutes.  From what I've read it should be no more than 20 minutes cylces and some of you have several hours between cycling.  I'll leave the pump off until I get the rig cribbed up and I can get underneath and trace out what and where.

The sequencing valve in the 1/2 bath, leaked the second day I owned the coach. spraying water every where.  I shut the pump off.  The grey cylinder (air chamber) was split at the juncture with the black (water portion) of the valve.  In the spare parts box I received, there is another sequencing valve with the same symptoms.  After removal and careful examination of the sequencing valve, I'm sure the water side of the valve had water going in on the "out", sending water thru it backwards. $410 later, I'll have a new valve to install early next week.

Now I want to check pressure regulators and for both water and air. I'm afraid it may have been a pressure issue also (?)  

I have #784, I'll go out today in search of these regulators, any clues on where to find them and how to distinguish what goes to what ?

Ps. I don't know if I would have purchased a coach like this, If I hadn't know about this website and your friendly support.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.