You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air operating systems

Maybe pour vinegar or diluted muriatic acid into the open valve to loosen up any calcium buildup.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Good idea Forest. I just so happen have a gallon of Vinegar just setting there doing nothing.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

The posts on the first page of this thread relate to the Solenoid Air Control Valve where I have a leak.  When I open the sewer dump valve on the street side, I have a major air leak.  It only leaks when the valve is open.  Attached is a photo which shows where the leak is and it is at a brass fitting on the right and leaks at the tip of the red arrow in the photo.  I do not know what this fitting does and if it can be cleaned and/or repaired or replaced.  Help please.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,
I believe that is an air control valve and it is mounted to the exhaust port of the electric solenoid air valve. It regulates the speed of the air cylinder that controls the sewer dump valve. It "bleeds off" excess pressure and prevents the sewer valve from snapping closed. Air escape during actuation is normal.
You could adjust the speed of the sewer valve operation by adjusting the screw on the tip of that valve after loosening the locking-nut.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

chester,

there are 3 things that can cause air to come out of that exhaust port. the first is when you either open or close the valve. one port is open exhaust and the other is close exhaust.

the other next is if after the valve is opened or closed if the o ring on the piston inside the cylinder is leaking air by.

the last is if the valve itself is leaking internally. there is a sliding rod that has rubber seals on it that when the valve is actuated moves back and forth to allow it to work. there are rubber seals on that rod that wear out and cause that leak.

i have had 2 of them do that and were confirmed when i took the valve apart.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Chester, my problem was the valve was leaking internally.  I replaced the one on the passenger side, which was giving me the problem with a manual valve since I never used it, and rebuilt the other two on the drivers side completely.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

My passenger side will never work so I will check to see if I can remove it and replace the one on the street side. Also, I will remove the bad one to see if it can be repaired. If neither of these plans work out, I will have to figure out how to get a new one. Thanks Tom and Chappell.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Chester, go to my post under air operated systems and leaks.  It is post dump air clyinder  8-28-2014.  It might help.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

That valve is available from Ingersall-Rand. They bought ARO corporation. I was a machinist and a QC inspecter for ARO a long time ago.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Chappell, I went to the post you refer to and most of it deals with the dump air cylinder whereas my issue is the exhaust port of the solenoid control valve. HoosierDaddy, do you happen to know the part number? More tomorrow - watching football the rest of the day.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey