You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

The full time dream!

Arrived in Russell, KS this afternoon around 2....thought it was 1pm, but apparently we lost another hour....Big Grin Had a tailwind all day, and flat Kansas driving on I-70. Paid the rent this morning.....put $496 of diesel in the tank (119 gallons). The park we stayed in last night is run by the same people who run the local Conoco, and they offer 5 cents off per gallon if you stay in their park. Checked the mileage and what do you know? We averaged just over 8mpg on this tank for 1,000 miles. We hold 180 gallons, so we still had 61 left after 1,000 miles. It seemed like we were getting better mileage this time, and now I know it is not my imagination. We've been averaging around 6.5mpg on the trip for the first 10,000 miles. We now have 134,165 on the ODO....almost broken in. Also, oil consumption continues to decline. The last time I added oil was in Vancouver, 1,618 miles ago, and have used just 1 quart. In the 4 years prior to the start of our journey I was adding a quart every 800 miles.

We traveled 217 miles today.....longer than our normal of around 150, but easy driving with the tail wind. Tomorrow we'll do around 134 down to Newton, KS on I-135.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Clarke,
I notice you guys are getting close to our area. The Newell Campground is open.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, we are in Tulsa for the next two days.....not that far from Miami, however we are headed down to Muskogee to visit the Reganalls for a couple of days, and then over to Lincoln, Arkansas to visit college friends, then north through Joplin to pick up I-44 into St. Louis. Don't know if we will have time to detour through Miami....will be passing near Miami around the 29th, but need to be in St. Louis the 30th, so don't know if we will have time to run by Miami.

Are you there having work done?

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

clarke, i think steve meant HIS campground... in golden, MO.

i highly recommend it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Oh, my bad....sorry Steve, I completely misunderstood....Golden, unfortunately, is even further off our route......we're kind of down to the short strokes here and are trying to squeeze in three stops on our way to Campbellsville, KY...I don't think there is room for a fourth.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

I understand. In the future my Newell Campground is even nicer than the factory's---------------and cheaper.

Safe travels....................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

We arrived at Jeff and Pam's (RegaNewell) lovely home on the south side of Muskogee around 12:30pm today. Pam put a colorful sign saying "Newell Rally" and balloons out on the main street showing us when to turn on to their street, and then again in front of their driveway with a sign welcoming "Clarke and Elaine" and a big red balloon. They have a VERY level, long concrete pad with full hookups, and the pool is about 20 feet away. We couldn't feel more welcome. Getting ready to do some "work", and looking forward to getting together with our hosts early this evening!

Forest, they even have a sewer connection!! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Clarke, you and Elaine are so close to Newell, I don't see how you can pass up the opportunity to drop by and trade up to a newer model. Rolleyes

Nice touch by Pam. Beautiful home!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, after seeing Jeff and Pam's 1996 Newell.....and it is a beautiful slideless coach......we were tempted, but we love our 1982, and the flexibility it gives us. By the way, how many here have heard their story about the rear frame snapping in two just after they got their coach? What an amazing story!!

We reluctantly (we really enjoyed out time with Jeff and Pam.....they are great hosts, and what a nice full hookup site they have for visitors) moved up from Muskogee today over to Lincoln, AR to visit old college friends. It rained most of the way from Muskogee as we traveled over on US 62......we only traveled 69 miles today, but with a two way road the last 35 miles, and a lot of up and downs, and winding around it seemed longer. We'll be here 3 days then up into Missouri to visit Elaine's brother, and family. After that Amazon.com owns our souls for 2 months.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

Clarke are you looking for sympathy from us because it sounds like you may be fishing for some? Remember what the end of the year was like in your previous life? Trying to justify your value at renewel to all of your clients...if you tell me you miss that then I think you need to start adding yoga and meditation to your daily routine and really figure out this retirement gig.

You just keep wandering around the country and keep posting notes so we can live vicariously through you and Elaine. Just remember while you may not always enjoy it...some of us do always enjoy reading about it.

PS More pics of places though!!

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota