You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aqua-Hot in heater mode

Tuga,
The motoraid heats the water in the AquaHot unit--not individual water circuits. If your motoraid is working you should have hot water at all hot water faucets.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

Motoraid? Where is it located and what does it look like?

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Those four valves are labeled on my coach, and I recall, two of them control the water flow to the heater core for dash heating and the other two control water flow to the AquaHot. If the ones to the AquaHot are open engine coolant should flow to the AquaHot heat exchanger and keep the temperature at about the same as your engine coolant is running. I seem to notice the AquaHot temperature display at about 185 when I park at a site after driving the coach. Hope this answers your question.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Tuga,
Russ is right. Motoraid is just the name of the system which connects your engine heat to the AquaHot or the water heating source. My Country Coach didn't have an AquaHot, but the motoraid system connected the engine coolant to the water heater so you would have hot water when you stopped driving for the day. My digital gauge in the galley also reads about 185 degrees when I stop for the day. Other than the hosing involved there is no maintenance.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

This is in response to Tom's posting on the 5th. I started my Aqua-Hot this AM with the following observations: Temp at start 88, temp when burner shut down 200, temp several minutes later 225, temp of water at faucet with mercury unit 117, and with heat gun 120, temp one hour later 205. I seems at the least the mixer valve works. I will post on Roger Berke's site to get the forum's comments.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

Agreed, mixer valve is working fine. It will be interesting to hear what Roger has to say.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

just a comment.

these digital gauges we are talking about here are cyberdyne. that is what newell used for years. i have observed several strange things about the digital temp gauges which leads me to believe that perhaps the reading of 225 and or when i had 212 was NOT (edited) accurate. hear me out.

lets start with my digital temp gauge for the genny water/coolant temp. when the genny is running and is at a steady temp reading (without the main coach engine running), all is good. as soon as i turn on the coach ignition switch and start the engine, the temp immediately increases about 10-20 degrees. like you can watch it go up from say 190 to 210 in 20 seconds. if you turn the engine off, it settles back down as fast. i had other issues with the temp readings at first so i have actually changed the gauge and the sender on the genny thermostat housing.(gauge still did the same for going up when ignition was on) now the temp is accurate UNTIL you start the coach engine. so i have learned to kinda subtract 10-20 degrees from the genny temp when driving. but, not all the time. i know, check the grounds etc. but easier said then done to get a new ground to that location. the main thing from this is that the temp on the genny coolant does not go up by 10-20 degrees in less than a minute just because the series 60 is now running.

next...

when i did the check on the aquahot, if you recall i said something similar. it was a slow steady increase on the temp of the aquahot boiler water. climbed from 98 to 198 or so and then you could hear the flame for the boiler shut off. the gauge climbed another couple of degrees slowly as you might expect. then the motor shut off completely after a minute or two and then the gauge climbed another 10 degrees very quickly like i described the gauge for my genny did when the ignition is turned on. no way after a slow steady increase with the webasto firing that now with it off, it increased 10 degress in less than a minute.

i believe on mine, the gauge is not accurate and that the top temp is actually around 200 degrees and everything shown after the webasto shuts off and is still off is a guage problem and not a aquahot problem.

it almost sounds like chesters is the same. how could the aquahot go from 200 degrees when chester says his shut off to 225 with the burner off?

i will try it again today when i am doing some things out in the garage.

if what i am saying is right, then we dont want chester trying to fix an aquahot problem when there isnt one.

but....could be this is just my coach acting this way.

food for thought.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

I think I suggested earlier to measure the boiler temperature at the thermostat location. I know of no other way to confirm or disprove the gauge reading. I do not get any significant temperature rise after burner shutoff. If I did I would not be happy and loose a lot of confidence in the gauge.

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Tom, thanks for the call this afternoon to alert me to not try to fix what ain't broke. Considering that my faucet water is correct at 117, I do not plan to do much until I can figure out how to check the Aqua-Hot temperature. To that end, I have posted the question on Roger's forum. By the way, my generator temp gauge occasionally shows "LOW". I do not believe that the temperature is low, just the gauge.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica