You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Trailer vs. Towbar

4 Down. I have a Car Trailer but that is for the hot rods.
Just bought a 2005 Rubicon and setting it up for towing. Too much hassle traveling with a Trailer and needing to deal with that sometimes having to pay for an extra site!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

No one has explained the "swivel type hitch"... What is it, what does it do and why is it a good thing to have?

Foodsman, I didn't use the term "swivel type hitch" but here is what I think the author was referring to:

http://www.hitchsource.com/blue-ox-aladd...29583.html

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Chester mentioned the "swivel type hitch" in post #8 and then refused, refused I tell you, to tell us more! Wink Oh the shame of it all... Thanks HoosierDaddy for pulling Chester out of this gaping morass! Rolleyes

I used the term. Mine is a Blackhawk - All Terrain 10,000# tow bar. The bar rotates 360 degrees which makes it easy to unhook when the tow car is in a bind, irregular terrain or positioned at an angle.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks Chester,

I took a look at the Roadmaster website and it looks great! I would not even have thought of this kind of tow bar if you hadn't mentioned it... To me its just the thing to have. I've fought tow bars before and its not fun!

http://www.roadmaster-tow-bars.com/tow-b...r-brackets

Thanks for the tip,

Harry

Go to the Blue Ox website to see the "Swivel Ball" type you are interested in. I have had mine for 8 years on 3 coaches

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I have been using blue ox for 14 years. Great product and good company to work with.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

What do you guys think about the "Kar Kaddy"? I was reading about it in the 2014 Dinghy Guide and seems like it could be a good towing option if you want a car that does't 4 down.

What's the good the bad and the ugly about going that direction?

I would find a car with 4 down. It is only marginally more flexible that car hauler, just my opinion. You still have to do something with it when the car is removed to get out of a tight spot or back up for any reason.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica