You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newells Unique 47' Lengths

Uh, yes, our coach #729 is 47' and I can attest to that having put a tape measure on it, plus the VIN number has "47" as the two digits just after the 1N9. With the hitch attached, that adds yet another foot plus the space of the hitch when attached to the toad, F-150 crew cab of 19' and you're looking at 70' going down the road. Susie said while I was driving the other day, "Line yourself up with the tractor-trailer and let's see if we match. We did and we did. All this said, the registration does not indicate length so unless someone goes to the trouble of actually measuring, we usually identify as a 45 foot coach. The extra length gains a bit inside and since we are full-timers we appreciate whatever extra space we have. So does the dog.

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com

I may be mistaken, but I believe the limit in California is 75' total or 45 not counting the tow bar.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

California limit is 65' combined or 45' for a single unit. Towing a large vehicle in California has, in at least some cases, resulted in tickets for over-length. I don't know that I have ever heard of anyone getting an over-length ticket in an RV in any state other than California or getting a ticket in California for the coach being over 45'. It may be that some other infraction may have been involved also resulting in the over-length citations. In most cases, without running a tape, it is difficult to identify a 45' from a 47'.

Note that while states may restrict RV size limits, the fed's do not. http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/FREIGHT/publicat.../index.htm states:
"Recreational Vehicles
Recreational vehicles are not CMVs subject to Federal size regulations (Figure 16)."

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I have gotten a ticket for over length in California when I was coming out of Indio. I really was stop for speeding on the interestate and the offcer measure the coach and wrote the ticket for over length instead of speeding which was better for insurance purposes. When pulling a tow vehicle the speed limit is only 55 and I was running 70 thinking the posted speed limits were for car pulling trailers. Very few states I haven't had some kind of tickets for either Motorcycle, ATV, or Motorhome.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I believe California has even tighter restrictions on portions of PCH. After driving it I can understand!!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

The 45' limit is statewide in California, however, that is limited to interstates and a limited number of roads. Otherwise the limit is 40'. There are a series to maps on the California DOT website 'legal roads' for buses and motorhomes over 40'. The section you may be referring to is Highway 1, at San Simeon, .58 miles north of Hurst Castle almost to Carmel and yes it would be a handful.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

We did the hwy 1 about 12 years ago in my 89 40ft and it was a hand full. My wife did not like and probably would not do again in a MC. We spent a couple of weeks on the Motorcycle doing the coast from LA to Oregon last year and it was great didn't like the motels, m/c better.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

we did it many years ago in a 35' executive. my family was miserable and i was cause they were

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Our coach #729 is definitely one of the 47 footers, the VIN even says so. Not sure where the extra two feet are but we did not sacrifice washer/dryer or anything else. We do not have bath and a half (sometimes wish we did) but we have plenty of room and all the other amenities. Our galley would probably be larger if we had front entry instead of side entry but we like that just fine too.

Gary and Susie
2005 47' Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 Allison 6 spd
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 crew cab, eco-boost twin turbo 4x4
2010 Ford Edge AWD
Black Labradoodle, "Dude"

http://nuevomexprimetime.blogspot.com
http://www.garyrgruber.blogspot.com

Gary and Susie, both of you, but especially Susie, are very talented writers. You can really string words together. Thanks for making the blogs available. I will go back and read more of them.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica