You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Auto Transfer Switch

they must have changed transfer switches as mine is not like that at all.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I just ordered the Progressive Dynamics PD 53-100.
It is on their specialty vehicle page.
Thanks Richard for the info.
$325 Phone 269 789 1631

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Steve, I tried to call and I have a disk for you on Silverfish. Leaving Denver Friday morning. Meet at Loveland ???

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

To answer Forest,

Please keep safety in mind, what I am about to discuss exposes you to 240 volt AC.

How did I determine the problem was the transfer switch. Symptom was no power to coach with gennie running. First thing I checked was all breakers including breaker on genset. So in order to see if the problem was gennie, transfer switch, or something else, I removed the top of the transfer switch and measured the input voltage from the gen. It was fine. Next, I looked at the writing on the contacter and determined it was an ac contactor I then measured voltage at the two terminals where the contactor should have been getting 120 from the circuit board. Nothing.

To hot wire the contactor you have to pull 120 v from the gennie input. One lead from the neutral and one from one if the hot legs. I made up two jumper wires since both the input legs and coil legs had spades. I don't recommend this as a practice since you lose any protection against starting your gen when plugged in and the mayhem that would cause. But, it's better than jamming something in the contactor to hold it closed. This hot wire will only work if the coil is still good.

Thanks Russ for reminding me that the neutral leg is out of phase and cancels. In my Washington DC induced fog I was adding the amperage on the legs. Given that, a 50 amp ATS is probably sufficient, but I am still going to replace with a 100 amp Progressive unit that Steve tagged above.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

There is no thread I could find addressing the PS275 transfer switch (xfer) specifically and this is the closest.  

Some time ago, I removed the PS275 (Todd Engineering) and replaced with a more robust xfer including features I deemed necessary.  Recently, I gave away the contactors which left the timer board, the enclosure (which is in the steel scrap)  and some wiring.   If anyone would like to have it, it is yours for the freight to your door.

[attachment=7626]
[attachment=7627]

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567