You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

#1231 - 2008 Quad Slide with Water Damage

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-New...-112802424

Sustained flood damage, water level was to the bay doors at least the level of the bay door actuators. Several issues listed but obviously water would have been up in the suspension wiring and potentially in the engine wiring systems. Bode air door doesn't work, minor scratches on exterior.

Auctioning off but asking price of $907,000 is way crazy for a 2008 with flood damage.

[Image: 112802424_4thumb_770x574.jpg]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

missing the front panel as well.

as a salvage title, the value drops like a bowling ball in a swimming pool.

likely this coach would take a great deal of work to make sure everything was working long term

good luck to them in the auction

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

They claim the front cover is in a bay but flood damage is one thing that scares me. Electrical wiring and connections don't like water and depending on how long it sat in the water, there could be all kinds of issues.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

All of the modern coaches have PLC controllers in the basement to control the slides. If that is still working, it makes me think that maybe its not all that bad. If the TV in the basement still works, I would bet that the engine electronics are ok as well. Assuming it was level when flooded.

I agree with Tom that the value of this thing is near zero with a salvage title. But it would a fun to drive up to a rally and be able to tell everyone that you bought a Newell for $35K! (Not that the salvage company would let it go for that).

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Michael, refresh my memory, Doesn't Newell remove the S/N from their support list when something catastrophic happens to a coach? Such as this, fire..etc.

Jimmy

Jimmy, I have not heard that so I really don't know. I know that some of the coaches that Newell has told me were totaled are still on the road (some with and some without a Salvage title). Although it is getting harder to do, scammers have always tried to find ways to get Salvage titles removed, sometimes by reregistering them in state after state trying to lose that deal breaking title.

What I find interesting is how often major damage can occur without a blemished title showing it. Some times the records of places like AutoCheck or CarFax will pick up the damage but not always. Typically if they are sold at auction and announced as salvage, that will get picked up by the vehicle rating services. In cases where private sales are involved and it wasn't a traffic accident where the Police were contacted, I am not sure Newell would even know if it wasn't brought back to them and they detected the damage. Typically a salvage title gets issued when the insurance company deems it too expensive to fix from their standpoint.

Here is an brief article on Flood Damage from the National Motor Vehicle Title Information Service.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I recall looking at a very low mileage coach and ran a car-fax report that listed salvage title destroyed by fire. I called Newell and they told me it had been removed. The coach looked pristine and the owner didn't want to talk about it... Just was like new.
Water damage shows up later with corrosion in electrical circuits and any other system below the water line..

If that is the case it might be hard to get some help from the factory..

In the aircraft industry we take apart anything that was touched by the water..

Jimmy

I don't buy anything that has sat in water, except maybe a rubber duck.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

(07-31-2014, 07:33 AM)afrench Wrote:  It might be my eyes, but I don't see where it says it has a salvage title?

You are correct, at this time, it does not have and may not ever have a salvage title. I depends on how they handle it at the auction and if the insurance company reports it as a loss payoff.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

let me put it differently, as a salvage vehicle.....

i was going to go to look at a newell in a neighboring state when i was shopping for the one i have now. it looked nice and appeared to be well taken care of. it was a 99 if i recall. when i did the VIN check it showed up as destroyed in a fire. i called newell and they said it was shown as destroyed in a fire. it had been in several states and originally showed that on the title in the midwest. when i talked to the owner, who either was a car dealer or his buddy the car dealer was selling it for him, i dont remember, he got quite upset when i brought up what i had found. at that point i was no longer interested, not because of the vin issues, but because i never could get the straight story.

one of our gurus has told me about salvage newells. from what i can tell, the newells and most particularly the ones worth well north of 100k, the insurance companies are in a tough spot. it is hard to get major damage repaired without taking them back to the mother ship in miami, and i would assume that major restorations take a LONGGG time to get done and may even take a LONGG time to even get on the schedule there. (speculation on my part), so my guess is that more of them get salvaged then other brands....(my guess again).

then, there is a limited audience by far to sell a salvage vehicle to, like really small, so the values are extremely low.

add in the fact that you have no idea how much money and time you would need to put into a coach like this one. could be a little, could be a ton.

my coach had been neglected and needed more work than i expected (but i kinda knew what i was getting into.....i say kinda because there were some things i didnt expect). but it worked out in the end with the deal i got. and mine was not a salvage vehicle.

one of the newells that i was told about had hit the drivers front side just at the front cap. popped windows out and some fiberglass/alum damage but that was it....it sold at auction for a song if i recall right.

richard has had a salvage title car, as have many others i know. you just have to know what you are getting into.

for me, if it was a good deal, and i was prepared to put the time and money in it, a salvage coach wouldnt scare me. but the deal has to reflect the potential time, money and resale value.

many of us keep our coaches for a long time. and by the time they get to be in a certain price range it probably wouldnt change the price much if it was salvage or not. for example, take an early to mid 80's classic. fine coaches and there are many on this forum that are time machines and look nearly new. if it was a salvage title and still looked that way, the value is probably not much different.

but a 2008, that is a whole different ball game. that has a HUGE impact on all of the above.

this is all just my personal experience and opinion. mostly opinion, so take it for whats it is worth....

it will be interesting to see what happens. rvtrader has same year newells listed for as low as 647. even newell list price is less.

i suspect the 907 was the insurance payout.

my two cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH