You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Size of shop air compressors

I was sold on PVC lines and drop collectors on the air lines in my last shop.. until... the temperature changed ... My mechanics were diving for cover when one of the 6" drop tanks blew off the line from the joint ... shattered in a million pieces across the hanger.. we went back with black iron pipe.... the regulated line pressure was 80 psi w schedule 80 PVC... just saying..

Jimmy

I probably should have added this was in Houston where the temp drop barely gets below freezing. Do not know the regulated pressure but do agree iron pipe removes this concern.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

i have pretty much dismissed using pvc, though a number of guys i know have done it. i talked to the schultz factory today and their compressor is cast iron as well.

so for airlines, the choices in front of me are.....1. pvc (dismissed) 2. black iron (to heavy, i dont have a threader and it isnt that cheap anymore) 3. copper (easiet for me other than slip fit stuff), 4. blue aluminum (nice but really pricey) 5. rapid airs plastic tubing.

since i have a while, it is fun to research. there are a lot of threads on garagejournal and air lines about it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, how about an automatic water discharge device like we have in the Newell?

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

there are different kinds. the automatic, a timer based one and the old fashioned valve.

moisture is not a huge problem here though

except for last nite

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

While I have a 2 stage 175 psi 7.5hp vertical unit capable of something like 24cfm at 130psi, I think it's probably real over kill. While I will never wear it out, I've also already had to replace the starting capacitor due to lack of use. I'll admit, it probably only gets run once every other month or so on average and that- like our coaches- is hard on it!

06 M450LXi 3 slide

Tom be sure you use a flexible line from the compressor to your air line system.. Lot of shaking going on....

Jimmy