You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell sightings

Have seen 2008, 1998 & 2015 Newells at the park this year. The 2008 is still here, the owner is a fellow by the name of James. A beautiful coach in copper with stainless stripes. The 2015 was from Montana. He took delivery in May of this year. The 1998 was from Alabama and I did not get a chance to speak with him. I have pictures but do not know how to incorporate them into this commentary.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Silver 8v92/Allison 4 sp.
Toad: 2007 HHR
Life is a Highway.

hi jim! glad to hear from you.

when you coming our way again?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Tom, we will be heading to Mesa the first week of Nov. Hope to arrive Nov 7.
Having major problem with the coach running very rich. Smoking even at idle. Have been talking with Leo but he is on vacation so I don't want to bother him at the moment.
Lots of black smoke going up hills, very embarrassing.
How is the shop coming? You finally jump thru all the hoops they threw at you? You should be very careful of that at your advanced age.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

Jim, is your coach a mechanical 8V92 or a DDEC controlled 8V92? If DDEC, are you by an chance running VMSpc? The reason I ask is that the DDEC gets a barometric pressure reading that is one of the inputs into how much fuel is injected into the cylinders. If the sending unit has failed it could cause lots of black smoke all the time. VMSpc will tell you what the DDEC thinks the barometric pressure is.

A turbo issue OR a plugged air filter can also cause excessive black smoke.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

It's a mechanical 8v92 Michael. They did a rack adjust on it at All Aboard America 3000 miles ago. My guy here wants to re-do the rack. The turbo seems to work ok, still gives lots of boost, the vanes on the intake side were sooty but it spins easily with no side play.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

(08-22-2014, 04:41 PM)djimellis Wrote:  It's a mechanical 8v92 Michael. They did a rack adjust on it at All Aboard America 3000 miles ago. My guy here wants to re-do the rack. The turbo seems to work ok, still gives lots of boost, the vanes on the intake side were sooty but it spins easily with no side play.

End result was a bad injector, after replacing all 8 I did not think that one of them would go bad. Leo at All Aboard  graciously accepted the bill since I could not make it back to Mesa to have him do the work. I would highly recommend All Aboard America for any mechanical work you might need on your Detroit.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Life is a Highway.

Leo is a good man. Very fair and good to his word.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com