You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bamboo Flooring

hi,

one of the things i dont like about some of the engineered wood floors that float is the hollow echo sound when you walk on it.

so a question for ernie and then for todd.

ernie, is there a way to minimize that hollow sound?

todd, did you buy a box of the stuff and just lay it on a surface and see how it felt to walk on?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom we have not purchased any yet. I wanted to make sure that this all made sense from Erniee's perspective first. The RV is on cold storage now until April so this is the education of Todd stage so I can tackle it right away in the spring.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

The manufacturers of the floating material either have a pad adhered to the back or you can install a thin mat for the material that does not have the pad.
I may have mentioned before that a floating floor has a unique configuration for the locking mechanism. What this means is you have to angle the next board in line and if you are close to a wall, outside corner- or curved corner, its difficult to fit the material tight against the obstruction without a large gap.
I often wonder how much this expansion business is an actuality. Especiall in such a small area as a coach. I suspect in a large environ, expansion/contraction would be a factor.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

(11-14-2012, 04:22 PM)Erniee Wrote:  The manufacturers of the floating material either have a pad adhered to the back or you can install a thin mat for the material that does not have the pad.
I may have mentioned before that a floating floor has a unique configuration for the locking mechanism. What this means is you have to angle the next board in line and if you are close to a wall, outside corner- or curved corner, its difficult to fit the material tight against the obstruction without a large gap.
I often wonder how much this expansion business is an actuality. Especiall in such a small area as a coach. I suspect in a large environ, expansion/contraction would be a factor.

So do we use a pad at all if we are gluing it down? Can you send me a pic of the Rope tread material you mentioned you like for the steps. If you use stainless steel on the stairwell walls do you glue that to the walls?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

http://www.roppe.com/products/rubberstai...index.html
that is the link to the raised round treads that I have used.
We don't need any kind of mat/mat under material that is being adhered to the floor.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Erniee I bought the flooring today from Menards. Now the weight of the flooring is about 450 lbs total. Should I be concerned at all about the weight or is that insignificant when distributed all over the RV?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

hi todd,

in my 90, i took out ceramic tile and put in granite. i considered putting it all the way to the front but didnt for weight and cost reasons.

the only way to answer weight questions is to weigh the coach. but remember, you are not going to use all the wood you bought, so the weight will be less than that.

since sooo many of the coaches (newells, bluebirds) have wood, ceramic, marble or granite floors, i just dont think the weight is something to worry about.

plus you have to subtract the weight of the flooring you are taking out as well.

i wouldnt worry about it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom is correct. Think of the weight as having a couple of guests along.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

FWIW- You might want to check out the flooring on Karl Blades new coach 1475 (on the Newell web site). The floor contains a combination of bamboo and marble. Looks even better in person

(12-03-2012, 12:19 PM)Johnc Wrote:  FWIW- You might want to check out the flooring on Karl Blades new coach 1475 (on the Newell web site). The floor contains a combination of bamboo and marble. Looks even better in person

Thanks. What year is his RV?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia