You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Forum and Shopping for Right Coach to Full-Time in.

Welcome Larry and Jan. Had a new Country Coach years ago, but never again. I suggest you Google Motorhomes Of Texas since several of us have purchased through them and they handle more used Newells than anyone I can recommend. Good luck in your search and there is a lot of information and answers on this forum.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

(09-07-2014, 05:51 PM)Chester Stone Wrote:  Welcome Larry and Jan. Had a new Country Coach years ago, but never again. I suggest you Google Motorhomes Of Texas since several of us have purchased through them and they handle more used Newells than anyone I can recommend. Good luck in your search and there is a lot of information and answers on this forum.

Thanks Chester. We hope to make a trip up to Motorhomes of Texas somtime in later October to take a look at what they have to offer. It will be a good chance (depending on inventory) to compare different coaches.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.
Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

Welcome Larry and Jan. I live in Nacogdoches and visit MOT quite often. Their stock of Newells are really down from six weeks to two months ago when they had about 7 in stock. I am a good friend of Rudy and Carolyn and visit with them when they come to Nacogdoches. You say you are coming to Nac. in Oct. My wife and I would love to get to know you and Jan better and hope to be here when you visit MOT. MOT are good people and hope you will find what you are looking for.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Thank you for your service.

Get a Newell and don't look back! Smile. (I'm biased of course). I'm sure others here would agree, but a 500hp DD S60 is a workhorse with a long track record. So I wouldn't rule Newell's with DD's out.

One thing about finding a used Newell is that no matter your price range, unlike most other brands, there is limited inventory out there at any given time and each coach is unique. So having time on your side is valuable to hunt down what you're looking for.

I visited MOT to look at a few Newells. Although I didn't buy mine from them, I would recommend them as well.

Good luck!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Thank you for your service to our country! One thing you will notice about a Newell is the "solid" feel to everything. The doors, drawers, cabinets and counters. The other brands "look" very nice, but a new SOB can't match the "feel" of a 20+ year old well maintained Newell.

Welcome Larry and Jan from, yet, another Larry. Thanks to you both for the service to our great country! Having been in the Motorhome business for 20 years, there was no doubt what we would buy when the time came. Now, 300,000 miles later, we definitely made a good choice. Using it in our business, we could not afford long term breakdowns and that is where Newells 24/7hr service hot line saved us thousands. There's no such thing as a perfect RV but there are people at Newell who can talk you thru most any problem......priceless. In your search don't overlook visiting Miami Ok where you will be treated well and get to see many Newells in one location. If you would happen to purchase one of those and it is less than 10 yrs old, it comes with a 2 yr bumper to bumper warrenty.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

(09-07-2014, 07:29 PM)qcj Wrote:  Welcome Larry and Jan. I live in Nacogdoches and visit MOT quite often. Their stock of Newells are really down from six weeks to two months ago when they had about 7 in stock. I am a good friend of Rudy and Carolyn and visit with them when they come to Nacogdoches. You say you are coming to Nac. in Oct. My wife and I would love to get to know you and Jan better and hope to be here when you visit MOT. MOT are good people and hope you will find what you are looking for.

Thank you. It would be great to meet you and Mary as well. When we nail down a date for our trip to Nacogdoches I will send you a PM or email and hopefully we can meet for lunch or something. Look forward to meeting you!

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

Larry,

You probably already know this, but I wanted to point out that the critical spec on the engine is the torque spec. It will tell you more about the drivability of the coach than the horsepower spec. My cat C-12 is rated at 1550 lbs-ft of torque and (Im told) is rated at 505 HP. I have heard of other C-12 engines rated at 320HP. Same engine with different software. In some of the newer coaches the C-15 cat produces 2050 lbs-ft of torque.

I found a short article about torque vs. hp. http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/power.php

Others may want to jump in here..but the bottom line is that I have never heard anyone say that their coach was underpowered. (Cat, Cummins, DD) They all will push your bus down the road.

Find a Newell at the right-price point and you will probably learn to love your engine whatever its color (Blue, Yellow or Red).

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(09-07-2014, 07:38 PM)Junior Guru Wrote:  Thank you for your service.

Get a Newell and don't look back! Smile. (I'm biased of course). I'm sure others here would agree, but a 500hp DD S60 is a workhorse with a long track record. So I wouldn't rule Newell's with DD's out.

One thing about finding a used Newell is that no matter your price range, unlike most other brands, there is limited inventory out there at any given time and each coach is unique. So having time on your side is valuable to hunt down what you're looking for.

I visited MOT to look at a few Newells. Although I didn't buy mine from them, I would recommend them as well.

Good luck!

Hi Jason. Good info regarding 500 HP being a strong engine for these coaches. Weight, HP and torque all go hand-in-hand but finding this info looks like it will not be as easy as I thought...probably due in part to the individuality of each coach. But, I am early in my research and expect to only get smarter.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Larry, I had previously provided information on Newells with 600+ HP engines based on your specifications. Bill is correct that torque is as important or more important factor than horsepower. Another consideration is vehicle weight. The GVWR on a P2000i is 63,600. A 2002, 2000 model had a GVWR of 55,000 so the lower horsepower (typically 500) and torque (typically 1550) of the Detroit Series 60 is about half offset by the weight difference.

If you back into the Newells with the 500 HP engines (predominately Detroits), changes include:
During the 2003 model year Newell changed from using HWH hydraulic slides to Valid electric slides,
In the 2004 model year Newell changed to the ZF suspension with the steerable tag.
During the 2005 model year Newell changed from the 2000 series body style to the 2000i (enhanced) body style.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com