You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Forum and Shopping for Right Coach to Full-Time in.

(09-08-2014, 07:56 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Thank you for your service to our country! One thing you will notice about a Newell is the "solid" feel to everything. The doors, drawers, cabinets and counters. The other brands "look" very nice, but a new SOB can't match the "feel" of a 20+ year old well maintained Newell.

Thank you for your comments.

How well built a coach is will remain our number one priority as we search for one to go full-timing in. We are not afraid to go older and I wouldn't even mind considering something that we could remodel to our particular tastes. Anything we get will have to include slides though...probably two so would be limited to no earlier than the mid 90's.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.
Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

(09-08-2014, 09:46 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Larry,

You probably already know this, but I wanted to point out that the critical spec on the engine is the torque spec. It will tell you more about the drivability of the coach than the horsepower spec. My cat C-12 is rated at 1550 lbs-ft of torque and (Im told) is rated at 505 HP. I have heard of other C-12 engines rated at 320HP. Same engine with different software. In some of the newer coaches the C-15 cat produces 2050 lbs-ft of torque.

I found a short article about torque vs. hp. http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/power.php

Others may want to jump in here..but the bottom line is that I have never heard anyone say that their coach was underpowered. (Cat, Cummins, DD) They all will push your bus down the road.

Find a Newell at the right-price point and you will probably learn to love your engine whatever its color (Blue, Yellow or Red).

Hi Bill,

Yes...I fully agree with your point regarding torque and have been trying to find the HP/torque specs for the different engines that Newell has offered over the years. I have found HP info but haven't come across torque values yet.

I have experience with all 3 diesel manufacturers (albeit marine service) and my only comment would be that DDs have always seemed to be leakers...maybe not an issue for OTR. This is not something that would make me rule out a DD however.

Larry & Jan Steinmetz

Ex-Navy / Retired Coast Guard CWO w/ 34 Years Total Service.
Goals: 2016 - Sell our house, buy a coach and live in it until retirement. 2018 - Retire for good and hit the road.

the leakers you are referring to are the 2 strokers. but....my 8v92 (now bills) never dripped a drop on my driveway.

the series 60's do not leak unless something is wrong.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The DD online PDF's have everything you want to know. My DD60/ 1850 and never a drop on the ground

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

With 2 slides you should definitely be beyond the 8V92's into Series 60's. I am still in the middle of a horrible experience with Stewart Stevenson / Detroit Diesel with having my 8V92 overhauled. Too bad Newell doesn't build engines! Was promised not more than 2 week turn around +/- July 8. Still not back in coach yet. Hopefully they are better with support on the Series 60 platform.

I was introduced to Newell Gurus by Ron Skeen the Friday night before his motorcycle accident. He stopped by our motor home while in Santa Fe Skies RV Park and introduced himself. Since then he and Jean have become very good friends and plan on coming back next year and spending a month together.

I am retired and Penny and I bought our first MH a 33 foot 94 Beaver Patroit, I then saw a 86 40 foot Newell for sale and fell in love with it so we bought it. (most people do not buy an older coach then the one they currently have, but the quality of that coach was far beyond the one we had. We then bought our 3rd and current MH 98 45 foot no slides from Bob Stone (who lived 5 miles from us and unfortunately passed away from cancer a couple of years ago).

We live in Anna TX have 3 children and 9 Grand children. I try to play golf, but have finally decided I will never join the tour. Penny is evolved with many crafts and our grandchildren. We have been married for 53 years and going strong.

I am very impressed with the love that so many of you have shown for Ron and Jean during his accident. I am looking forward to being part of the Newell Gurus it is a great group.

Ed and Penny Thomas
Fasteddie

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

Glad to have you with us Ed and Penny. I, like you, sold a motorhome that was newer to buy my Newell. I went from a 1995 Safari to a 1992 Newell.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search. Foodsman is on a similar search so if you follow a number of his questions you will get the fresh replies to the standard questions. I did pass on one thing to him that had not really surfaced in his thorough research. I suggested that he buy the motorhome that he wants six months before he plans to use it fulltime. Why? They are complicated, the learning curve is gradual, you need time to gain comfort, you need time to fix the ankle biter issues, and you need practice trips to gain the technical proficiency you need to fix things on the road. This advice is not unique to Newell but in my unasked for opinion applicable to any motor coach

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I second Richard. I learned the hard way. A motorhome is like a woman...complicated, moody, but ultimately enjoyable...most of the time. And it does indeed take time to really get to know her and what keeps her happy! Start slow and remember when cussing out a nameless forum member that convinced you to buy xyz motorhome while you are trying to hone in on why your compressor keeps going on after the 7th time you "fixed" it..the hard stuff gets easier and the good will far outweigh the bad.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

Larry, we have a 1982 Newell with the 6V92 TA silver edition.....no leaks at 149,000 miles. It is rare to find a Silver Edition series 92 that leaks. If they do (like the 60) something is probably wrong.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com