You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shade issues

2014 NEWELL COACH
KURT VANDER MEER

Hello everyone. Recently I retracted the power shades above our dinette. It was rolling up nicely when all of a sudden the shade fell back down. Now the motor just rolls up and down but the shade wont go up or down with it. Seems to just sit and spin on the roller. Any body ever experience something like this?

~Kurt VanderMeer~

Kurt
I am not familiar with the particular shades in your Newell But it sounds like the shade material has become detached from the roller. It is probably glued or wedged unto the roller. The roller assembly would need to be removed from the valance to properly repair it

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Heres the trick. Measure 10 1/2" from the right motor side and drill 1/8" hole in aluminum tube when shade fully down. install 1/8 pan head screw all the way through the plastic and to other side. After adjust up and down with yellow and black buttons on shade end. This is textbook and no other way to fix it. DO NOT REMOVE THE SHADE.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate the tips.

~Kurt VanderMeer~

Sorry Kurt, I hadn't heard of "the trick" Thank you , Larry!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Tommy K at Newell taught me this one and it's easy to do. Tommy has lots of fixes in his 35+ years at Newell and I always tend to ask him before others on how all the widgets work....

We all learn some "tricks" when we are confronted with odd repairs

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

Or, since you have a brand new coach, you could always stop in at Camp Newell and ask them to do it. Larry, does he need to remove the phantom wall to get to the roller?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

No, just roll the shade all the way down to expose the outer tube assembly..Nothing needs to be removed, including the old screw an inch from the new one you put in...

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

(09-22-2014, 01:41 PM)lbrachfe Wrote:  No, just roll the shade all the way down to expose the outer tube assembly..Nothing needs to be removed, including the old screw an inch from the new one you put in...

I know this is a few yrs. later, but on Larry's old coach (!), I tried his "trick", but it didn't work for me at least.  Anyone have other suggestions?

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)