You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aux Air Compressor Install

The Gast compressor has check valves built into the head so no backward flow will occur unless the valves are leaky in which case the compressor is going to work awfully hard to do its job.

The idea of some leakage allowing an easier start requires a leak between the pump and the check valve; I'm thinking such a leak would hard to calibrate so that it leaks enough to allow an easy start and is small enough not to compromise the capacity of the compressor. The other hard part will be maintaining that flow rate over time.

My 93 coach never had a check valve external to the Gast. So far there have been no problems - but heck, tomorrow it will all blow up just to prove me wrong.

The other thing to consider is the pressure needed to inflate tires. Unless the compressor turns on at more than the needed pressure in the tires it is very frustrating trying to inflate tires. The Gast allows me the function of airing up the compressed air system in the coach but is essentially useless for my 115psi tires when its turn on setting is 90psi. I bought a separate small compressor for the tires and it can also back up the Gast.

The only way to combine the functions would be to install a 150psi compressor and then have a branch off it with a reliable regulator connected to the coach system, and then a connection for the tires. This approach might require a tank mounted with this compressor to stabilize the operation. If my coach didn't already have a Gast type system I probably would go this route, but since it did the extra compressor was easier.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

the air pressure for filling tires is taken care of easily with an air doubler like many of us have. newell started installing it as a standard feature sometime before 2001(when my 02 was built).

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My 2001 has the air doubler, and I suspect it is cheaper than any other solution, but I cannot quote prices. Worth pursuing since it certainly will take care of the 130 lbs. required by the 315s.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The air doublers have been on Ebay often and I just replaced my check valve for the compressor (1/2" external) and have a Spartan Scientific 2 way solenoid that exhausts that "leakage" you spoke of and prepares the compressor for it's next cycle. I do not use a water separator and instaed bleed the tank monthly, which takes about 10 seconds of time.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Alie/Jon

We have a 90, so bought a multiplier

(Have 2 so if you want one will sell it to you for what I paid $250)

Can mail to you in about 10 days when I am back in Texas

We will be in Mesa around Nov 10. I can get an address you can send it to then. Will keep in touch, Thanx.

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Silver 8v92/Allison 4 sp.
Toad: 2007 HHR
Life is a Highway.