You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Brake controller

Just joined today, thought I'd make my 1st post/question about something that confuses and frightens the dickens out of me, automotive type wiring/electrical.

I need to wire in a brake controller so I can tow a trailer. I know that Newell provides relays in the front in the passenger compartment, and they connect to the relays in the engine compartment. I do have a 7 wire connecter by the tow hitch, and the brake, turn signals etc are working. I was told Newell has wires that are already in place that run from the front of the coach to the back, true?
That is the extent of my knowledge!
Does it matter what 12v power wire I splice into to power the brake controller?
What do I splice into to enable the brake controller to actuate the connecter in the tow connector? I'm pretty stupid when it comes to electrical, so specifics help if it's possible.
I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller.
thanks for any help or advice
John

John and Patti
1991 Newell #255 8V92
2011 Jeep Wrangler
US Army Retired

To be clear, You have an previously installed connector on your coach? this appears to be the wiring schematic for your brake controller? Do you have a 7 way tester?

Attached Files
.pdf 7-WAY RV BLADE CONNECTOR.pdf Size: 419.23 KB  Downloads: 16

Jimmy

No, I do not have an existing brake controller, I'm trying to wire one in to the existing wiring on the Newell. Sorry for not being clearer.
John

John and Patti
1991 Newell #255 8V92
2011 Jeep Wrangler
US Army Retired

Take a look at the diagram. Not sure what wires Newell provided but, I would suspect you have some spares nearby. The battery wire is probally 10 gauge as is the ground wire. The battery (or off the Buss Bar) should be circuit protected. Maybe someone can chime in that has a coach near your 91' year for wire spare specifics.. If you take a look at the schematic you'll note that the powerwire is not switched.. so you don't loose power to your brakes in the event of power loss..

Attached Files
.pdf Generic Wiring Diagram.pdf Size: 66.66 KB  Downloads: 14

Jimmy

hi john, welcome.

on my 90, coach 236, there were spare wires that ran from the wiring panel that was at the rear of the coach in the engine compartment area (on mine it was accessible from the rear, but in some it is inside the engine compartment on the passenger side.

there should be a number of wires visible that are spares. a chunk of them will go to the fuse/wiring panel at the passengers feet.

if you need to, you can get power from that panel in the passenger kick panel.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ok if I understand this correctly the wire supplying brake current (blue wire) from the controller should be 10 gauge. I don't see any 10 gauge wires in either end of my Newell. There are several wires but they look like 16 gauge wire. Has anybody found an appropriate wire that is available?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.