You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Re-power?

Must have a stuck or broken ring.. My oil consumption wasn't that high..

Got It! I climbed up and down the mountains in AZ most long 7` climbs pulling a towed. did well when I figured out what /when to shift down.. going down became exciting with the retarder and xmission temp until I figured out that the same speed down as up rule... I was able to keep up with the trucks and even passed a few going up.. It pulls hard.. just not fast... I know the drive shaft was recently done..

I had concern about the engine deck height and the bedroom floor clearance in trying to go to another make... just have to get out the measuring stick...

Having a spare at the ready makes really good sense..

Jimmy

If you have a few 3208 engines kicking around it dies make sense to put one in if you plan on keeping it for a while. Theres alot if them running around in the older bluebirds and dont hear too many issues with them other than lack of power from the na engines. You might run in to height issues with a turbo. The 8.3 turbo is more compact, they fit in the same hole as the na v8 engines.
I wanted to go the extra mile with the newer power train because it is just that. Newer and more efficient, plus it has the cool factor!! I can be loaded right up and have no issues passing or pulling hills. Also great mileage.

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

I'll be joining Keith with an 8.3 Cummins conversion soon, I have a 1996 donor rv with 52k miles ready to go.
My 903 is eating itself (cam I think). I am going to limp it down to MO in October.
I won't be around much for the work as I'm 600 miles away but I'll update everyone as it comes together.

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Scott, when you are all up and running with your new engine im sure the boys at Newell would like to check it out. Its only about an hour from Mikes. When I was there last march they were interested in seeing mine with the newer engine. They thought it was great there is still a few of us keeping these coaches on the road. It was one of the highlights of my trip.

Love old schoolHeart

If time allows, I might take a trip down there, I didn't realize it was so close.
It would be interesting to see a million dollar coach, should be quite a contrast to mine!Big Grin

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Take the Factory Tour also... You'll love it....

Jimmy

There was one there about the same vintage as yours when I was there. I asked about the 67 they had they were restoring but they had sold it. Not sure who ended up with it?

Love old schoolHeart

I have been using full synthetic oil and noticed that the last 500 miles burned less oil than the previous. I have two John Deer backhoes that were burning a gallon every 40 hours and now burn less than 1/4 gallon in the same time.

I found two 3208's, one is just across the road and only has 60,000 miles. The truck is totaled with rear damage, front is fine. Saw the truck a thousand times but never looked at the engine till last week.

With that found were going to enjoy the Newell until we deem the 1160 needs replaced. We may get lucky and the engine may repair itselfe. Not likely but possible. As busy as we are we're just going to have fun for now.

Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.