You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hi all...

My wife and I do not yet own a Newell nor any of the competition (prevost, wanderlodge,etc) -- but are considering a Newell.. I'll admit that we've been eyeing Wanderlodges for a handful of years now but either didn't have funding or didn't find a model we really liked.

Anyway, after learning that the Newell's tend to get slightly better gas milage over equivalent hardware in a Wanderlodge, and with the fact that the mid 80's I find more appealing than the equivalent aged Wanderlodges, we're now on board here -- trying to get more info on models, features and whatnot.

I gather from the limited reading that some of these older Newells might have less than desirable engines (e.g. Cummins 555) that may have difficult to find parts and perhaps limited shops to work on them if needed.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to tinker and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I'm not familiar with Diesel engines per-se but can certainly change fluids and the typical maintenance stuff without issue if I can get pointed into the right direction. Our current RV is a class C 24' long Lazy Daze -- I've removed all windows and rebuilt the seals and reinstalled along with some wall repair due to dry-rot and termites.. I'm not against doing this in bigger RVs and gather I shouldn't have as much of these sorts of issues with a Newell due to not having stud walls like the cheaper stick built units such as the one we have now.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be asking some stupid questions so please bear with me..

Welcome Rick. If you are looking at mid-80's models, you would be looking at the Classic body style which was used through 1989. Most Newells in the early 1980's had either the Cummins 903 or the Detroit Diesel 6V92. Late 1984 models on typically had Detroit Diesel 8V92's. Of course there were some build with other engines when the owner requested. I am aware of at least one 1986 with a Cummins 903 in it (Sequence #21 for 1986), while Sequence #004, 024, 026, and 027 all had the Detroit in them. A major change took place in the 1986 model year when the coaches were widened to 102". This is easiest to tell from the front where the windshields of the wide-bodies all have a 6" wide center section of glass making it a 3 piece windshield. This 3-piece windshield continued until the change to the 2000 Series in 1990.

With lot's of owner's of Classic Newells on this site, ask away with any questions you might have.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael for the great info.. I'll admit that after reading Wanderlodge forums for several years I'm mostly familiar with the CAT3208/CAT3208T and the newer engines (6v92/8v92 or series 60's)-- some of these other models as you indicate I'm completely unfamiliar with and I'm sure some have their quirks or whatever and I'm sure I'll be asking more questions..

I noticed in the classifieds forum that many ads refer to "#nnnn for sale" or similar -- are these the serial or sequence counting from the beginning or ??

I'm a bit stumped by that reference and the sequence reference you allude to above... Is there an FAQ that goes over some of this stuff for Newell newbie's like myself? I haven't yet done much poking around on this forum so it's likely out there but I haven't had a chance to peruse it yet.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Rick,
The serial numbers are not in exact sequence. My 1993 Newell is coach 316. Some of us identify our coach by the serial number sequence digits in order to add clarity. Michael has recorded details on serial numbers that is very helpful.
Michael, on this subject...Is there an archive that generally lists which serial numbers were built/titled as certain years? For instance, maybe 309-340 were 1993 models etc...

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

You might take a look at the History Section of this site Year and Coach Numbers. If a coach was built in 1990 or later, the Coach number is a part of the VIN and used as an identifier to those who know Newells. Newell started that numbering system as part of an accounting system change in 1983 BUT the VIN did not include the Coach number, it included a Sequence Number (ie 004 would be the 4th coach built during that model year) that started over each year. Coaches built between 1983 and 1990 had the Coach Number typically marked on the plans which Newell kept and on various places, sometimes hidden away, on the coach. Several owners have located Coach Numbers on the bottom of the engine doors. Coaches built prior to 1983 did not have a coach number as the current coach numbering system did not exist at that time. There were 384 coaches built prior to the 1983 numbering system. As a result, Newell skipped 384 numbers in 2007 to get the coach numbers to represent those missing unnumbered coaches.

Hope that helps. Let me know if it just confuses things.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

thanks! I don't suppose anyone with a classic Newell in the Las Vegas or southwest Utah area (or off the 15 between LA and Vegas) might let a prospective buyer take a peek to see what they're typically like inside and out -- up close and personal? My wife and I will be heading to the St George area this weekend and IF there's one that we could look at that would be nice.. If not, no worries..