You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Question regarding power of the 1160 CAT engine...

Hi all.. How would you characterize the power of the 1160 motor when it's running well? I understand it's the predecessor to the CAT 3208NA -- I've heard lots of Wanderlodge owners saying their almost bullet proof but not fast -- as long as you're not in a hurry. Is that more or less the case with a well maintained 1160? Do they have sufficient power to tow a minivan or something like that or is towing not really a good idea with this engine.. Sorry for the stupid questions..

Rick,
It will tow it. It's all about keeping in the power (torque) curve.. Pulled some good size mnts. in AZ w a mid size car on a dolly.. Really couldn't tell the diff with or without the car... Engine temps rose a bit but well within limits.. Parts are getting harder to find for the 1160. Rim fire can give you first hand as he has one.

Jimmy

They do make aftermarket turbo kits for the 1160, should boost the hp from 225 to over 250

I have pulled a loaded 26 foot enclosed trailer across Iowa and had no issues. Like Jimmy stated, I could hardly notice the difference. It did burn a little more fuel but that was it.

Roy...

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.