You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hello from Ohio, 1972 Newell Chauffeur

Welcome Bob and Peni, its great to see you here. Hope to meet up somewhere someday. Here is a thread for window felt that should help. I bought the last of the stock from Newell but this other stuff works well for me also.
http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Whatsnewel...uth-Dakota

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

(10-19-2014, 07:53 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Great history!! I have previously seen that Serial Number but showed it belonged to a 30' 1973 that was blue and silver with a Ford 391 Industrial engine Motor # 210850SS25HG 391EHD. Glad to get the information that it is really a 1972. Is it a 30' or a 35'? In that time frame, I have seen Newells in the early 1970's with lengths of 30' and 35'.

Mike,

Newell was not able to provide me much when I inquired about our coach, however they did provide me with the original Coach order dated October 12, 1971, the production order dated October 27, 1971 and the order drawings dated September 9, 1971. At the top of the order is a note estimating delivery to be in April 1972. The coach was indeed delivered with a Ford industrial 391 with the numbers 21085 S25HG 391EHD. The order drawings refer to it as a Scroggins 30' Special 5196 and have a note that the coach is 12" longer than the standard 30' model (to accommodate the chauffeurs quarters I assume). Indeed the body is 31' and it is 32' bumper to bumper.

I do not know what the original outside colors were, however there is a line on the Coach order that states the outside trim was orange.

I have no other original documentation for the coach. I have written an operation manual for it and have documents (installation manuals, operation manuals and parts manuals) relating to the engine and transmission. I have been able to download some manuals for installed items such as the Onan generator, water pump and refrigerator but I've been unable to locate any documentation for the air bag system, air compressor for the air bags, 2 speed differential or furnace. I've also never seen a Newell operation manual from this vintage and would love to find one to at least copy.

Since you seem to be keeping track of who's got what where, perhaps you may know of someone who has an older coach with some of the documents I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Bob Kopicki
Massillon OH

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur
1964 Land Rover 88 Series IIa TOAD

Welcome! Awesome looking restoration job. Good to see an old classic looking so good. You definitely need to bring it to the next gurus rally.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks to everyone for the big welcome! ....I even have a lead on where to get the felt to quiet those windows down. Thank you.

All of your coaches are so beautiful and it's been a lot of fun to check out the gallery and see what others have done.

Thank you again for making us feel welcome here and hopefully we can make a contribution to the site.

Sincerely,

Bob and Peni

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur

Bob, in response to your question, unfortunately, I have very little ownership information on the very early coaches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com
Photo 

Just in case someone is interested.....

The "Carole Ann" has already been out and about spending 5 days in Lexington, KY for Road to the Horse last month (my anti-freezing methods worked this year!).  We'll be travelling to the All American Youth Horse Show in Columbus OH on May 13 thru May 17.  Following a week and a half later we'll be taking a 2 week southern tour starting May 27.  We plan stops in Bowling Green, St. Louis, Dallas and then 5 days in Corpus Christi before heading back to Ohio.  I've got 16 years with my company and finally getting some usable vacation time.

This winter I finally got around to installing a new air tank for the air bags, cruise control, a rear TV and a CB and we're having some custom shower curtains made this week so we can finally use the forward shower.  We purchased a fair amount of turquoise stayfast canvas to have the two front seats re-upholstered and some matching curtains made this coming winter.

Hopefully we'll see some of you out and about!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur

Thanks for the post! I’m definitely interested in your progress, and thank you for the pictures!

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thats great Bob, glad to hear your enjoying your classic, happy travels this summer . We're enjoying ours as well, logged about 2500 miles and plan on another 5k+

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

Great pictures Bob! Thanks for the update. Great to see you bringing Carol Ann back to her prime.....looking really good!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Just a quick update to our story....

2016's budget for the interior was blown by having a ton of engine work done.  We replaced all of the injectors, injector cups, valve springs, valve guide seals, head gaskets, water pump, fuel pump.....she's running great and we drove to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky.

2017's interior budget blown by exterior work.....the new steering.....cruise control.....and the 1964 Land Rover I'm restoring!  I'm getting my grill and middle part of the rear bumper re-chromed and we got the roof re-painted.  I believe we had more roof paint on the sides then on the roof!

A company called Star-Jet in Columbus did the work and did a very nice job.  They removed all of the marker lights (I supplied 3 "new" Dietz 80's for the 3 crappy non-original plastic ones up front) and the air conditioner shrouds to prep the roof.....they even painted the shrouds.  It's a family business, they specialize in RV's and are very reasonably priced.

Here's a look...

Note my missing grill and rear bumper.

On a side note, I've never seen another vintage Newell in person before, but next door to Star Jet there was a 70's vintage pusher in beautiful condition but supposedly with a blown motor.  I'm sorry I didn't get pictures.

Bob Kopicki
1972 Newell Chauffeur