You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Re power project

I wonder how many gallons to the mile it would get?

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

Yeah but it would all even out because you would get thru the Mile really fast

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Something like this!! Lol School Bus Dragster: http://youtu.be/eqettwJC4ME

Love old schoolHeart
1976 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd
1977 Newell 8.3 cummins allison 6spd

The flames keep away tailgaters:

http://youtu.be/Q7SvjGwolmA

Scott

1983 38' Classic #007
8.3 Cummins, Allison 6 spd.
"Any other Way"

(11-23-2014, 06:46 AM)wepaddle4 Wrote:  All the new air bags are in, rear end gears are changed, and the front bearing seals are changed over to oil bath.  
Engine and trans will go in next, probably next week, there is another coach coming in that needs to be worked on this week.
Can't wait to see it run.

I sold the old 903 to a tractor puller in PA, he uses just the block and builds it up to run on alcohol, it will make 5,000 hp!  

Scott

Any updates or pictures to post? I'm working on a deal to possibly pick up a transit bus with a Cummins ISM and B400R transmission, it's 850 miles away and we're still in the negotiation stages.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Mike should be close with Scotts engine upgrade by now,
It will be another classic that will be able to travel around economically and alot less troublesome.
I fired mine up today and aired it up, just love the sound of the turbo!! Just touched the key and it flashed right up,
Best part is no cloud of smoke like the old engine. Were really looking forward to getting out on the open road with it in the spring.
Thats great news about the ism engine you found for your coach Jon! Hope you can work a deal!!
It really too bad there doesn't seem to be too many more interested in upgrading the engines in the classic Newells here, seems they would rather just buy a newer one with a 4 stroke already in it. Were on page 2 here? Really?
To me theres nothing like the looks of a classic, then to put a newer more efficient powertrain? Come one folks this is cool stuff here!! Interior upgrades? Electronics?
Wow theres only about 2 dozen of these things built every year lets make it happen!!

Love old schoolHeart

(01-14-2015, 09:15 PM)I suspect that logistics play a big part of no doing it, plus the uncertainty of cost and reliability of the conversion... The I want to use now also plays in the game..  Like this nice coach for sale now in eBay.. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav='item.vi...1570457103 I would say perfect canadate as  north of 180k on the engine.. It would all depend on purchase price, finding a doner, finding a shop, or having the ability to do it yourself..  Plus unknown overall cost...Only a few will go thru the process.  Most will opt to just find one ready to go... A business Opertunity???  Maybe... Wrote:    Retro
Thats great news about the ism engine you found for your coach Jon! Hope you can work a deal!!
 It really too bad there doesn't  seem to be too many more interested in upgrading the engines in the classic Newells here.
 To me theres nothing like the looks of a classic, then to put a newer more efficient powertrain? Come one folks this is cool stuff here!! Interior upgrades? Electronics?
Wow theres only about 2 dozen of these things built every year lets make it happen!!

Jimmy

The eBay link didn't work, but I think I found it.....is this it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Condition-1...Vs_Campers

Personally, I like our DD 6V92 mechanical engine.....no electronics, low tech in every regard....doesn't smoke on startup, and uses less oil now than it did when I got it 6 years ago....about a quart every 12-15 hours of operation. It had 103,000 miles on it when we purchased our 1982 Newell in 2008. It now has just over 150,000 miles on it and runs flawlessly. The only major mechanical issue I have had was replacing the gear driven water pump back in February of 2012, which I did myself after finding a replacement on eBay for $89. Otherwise I just change the oil, and filters, and replace tires (drive tires next week as they are 6 years old now). And, come on now, who doesn't love that silky sweet sound of a 2 stroke engine?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

They are good when they're good Clarke, I had a 6v92 turbo in an 83 wanderlodge and it was fine other than I had to wind it up in the hills and hard on fuel. But if there no good some might want to opt for a newer 4 stroke, they are more efficient, cheaper to rebuild and easier to get parts for. I have yet to see anyone pulling a 60 series or any other 4 stroke for that matter and installing a 2 stroke.
It just wouldn't make sense.
My 8.3 is also full mechanical with the p7100 injector pump, very common and very reliable. I never have to add oil and average 10mpg with power to spare. And love the sound!! Kinda like a jet engine, awsome!! The allison world 6spd is nice too. Smooth!!

Love old schoolHeart

If I could get my hands on one (been trying for 2 years) I would go with the OPOC 2 stroke. 400 lbs for 325HP and you can couple another one to it with an electric clutch for 650HP. With the electric clutch option you're only using the second one when you need the power. http://www.ecomotors.com/
I was very disappointed when the announced that they would be manufactured in China, but their headquarters is here in the US.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad