You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Coaches

You asked if a 6 year old newell or new newmar. Hands down newell.

Rolleyes Ashley Pardue Coach 589

JEB,

You said Allegro Bus. New MSRP is somewhere between 380 and 425 depending on options. So let's say you could buy it for 325.
Yes, you will have a warranty for a year or two. So let's assume in buying a used Newell you put aside 25k for fixing what may go wrong in the first two years. That gives you 300 k to play with. Go look, physically look, at a couple of Newells at that price point. Drive the Allegro Bus and drive the Newell. Your hands on inspection and road test will reveal the answer that is right for you.

The big fallacy that is conventional wisdom is that new equates to less trouble. That is NOT the case with motorhomes. The RV industry comes no where close to approximating the quality and engineering of the car industry. A motorhome is a pretty sophisticated chassis and engine to which is added three separate but connected electrical systems, two separate but connected water systems, fancier electronics than what most have at home, that sits in all kinds of weather, and is subjected to a minor earthquake each time we drive it.

If you have a motorhome, you or someone you hire, WILL work on it. The more hands on and technically savvy that you are will proportionally influence the joy in owning a motorhome. Most of us on the forum made a living as some sort of techie. Naturally, we look at the design, construction, and serviceability of things we buy cause it's usually warranty by your's truly.

You don't have to tell us, but consider your disposition on material things. Do you have to have the brightest and shiniest new toy, or are you more satisfied knowing you have the best value for the dollar?

And my last, and probably most telling litmus test is this. Go look at a ten year old Allegro or Newmar, and then go look at a ten year old Newell. That will give you a fair indication of how the unit stands the test of time.

I have posted on a popular RV forum, that people should stop recommending used Newells and Foretravels as the smart buy in today's market. It's a secret club for those in the know. We should lock the clubhouse doors and not let anyone else in. Of course that is tongue in cheek sarcasm, but the point is that we can assist you with any technical question or challenge you may have with a Newell, but we are NOT Newell salesmen, and don't spend a lot of time chest thumping about the brand. Obviously, members of this forum went through some of the same decision points that you are considering and ended up here. You can go to Allegro and Newmar forums and find other's who decided differently.

Good luck in your search. The hunt can be a lot of run. Plus I bet Nacogdoches, and Miami OK are a lot warmer than Sioux Falls this time of year. Take a trip!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Anyone thinking of buying a Newell should attend our annual gathering no matter the rig they are currently in or not... Most places have other facilities for couples like Forest and Cindy ( Two of the originals here who sold the coach for a cozy retirement mansion, but we will make sure there is a place for Forest's tent at least)...
Seriously , there is no better place in the country for a potential future Newell owner then our annual gathering to see for themselves first hand and the Rally cost is always FREE

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Well said, Richard!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I'm not sure there's much to add after Richard's wise words!

Except maybe depreciation. A new $325k coach of any make will most likely depreciate much quicker than a used $300k Newell, if that's a concern.

Oh and $300k can get you a VERY nice Newell IMO!

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

I would like to expand on Richards advice...while you're in the older Allegro bus, let the salesman drive while you wander all around the coach listening for noises. Do the same thing in the older Newell. Lay on the bed going down the road, pay attention to the noises and comfort of ride. You'll be sold.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

(11-20-2014, 09:07 PM)Flick Wrote:  Hey guys the other member is me.

He may be in trouble!

Wish I could expand on this but since ours is a '82 I have no experience with the newer rigs. Having said that it should speak volumes about the quality of the Newell.
I like Richard's advice...buy the best that you can afford.
PS make sure that you pull Oil Samples on ANY coach before purchasing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch