You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Turn signal trouble

We just took a trip to the lake mead area it was a great trip on the way home I discovered I had no turn signals or 4 way flashers can't find any fuse blown do any of you guys have any ideas? Our coach is 1981 coach #3 every thing else works normal
Thanks, Graham

Sounds like The flasher or the relay

Jim & Julie Lloyd
1989 41' Classic #206
8V92, 740 Allison
Purchased February 2006

I will try a replacement in the morning thanks, Graham

I had the same problems on my 81 every now and then, turn on a blinker then go to the back of the coach and wiggle the connectors to the relays.
That was the only problem I ever had was a bad connection, as far as I can remember it never blew a fuse. Paul
Also cycle the emergency brake switch a couple of times to make sure it has a good connection

Paul and Sherry Schneider
1994 newell coach 366, 38 ft with a 8v92 ddec 2

Do you have Front Signals? if the problem is isolated to the rear then yes check the Relays.

When we got our '82 I had no Rear Lights at all, Brake, Turn or Emergency. My problem was with the Combination Turn Signal/Emergency Flasher Switch. The Tail Light Wiring goes through the Switch for the Emergency Flashers and that is where my problem was, when I talked with Newell it was stated that they had problems with this Switch and there was a Replacement available (not sure if they still have it, it is a TRW part)
*****if you need to use this part contact me so that I can send information about the install!! there needs to be a minor adjustment to the Steering Wheel Adapter for clearance!*****

It has been a while since I did this repair but here is something that I found, not sure how accurate this is but it should give you an idea how the circuit works.

I was able to make a temporary repair while waiting for parts. I bypassed the emergency flasher circuit by soldering a jumper wire. If I remember correctly the downside was that the brake lights came on in the front when the emergency flashers were energized.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

Well I finally figured out what was going on. I found that I did have a blown fuse. I pulled the flasher and the fuse would hold so I put an ohm meter on the flasher stat and it was good so I started tracing wires out and found that the hot to the turn signal switch was grounding on the column so to prevent any further issues I put all new connectors in and put heat shrink over them. Problem solved, as you guys know it's always something! Thanks for the help Graham