You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Potential Huge Issue with Engine

So they could not see where it is but there is so many shards. We have decided to pull it completely out so they can replace a seal as well that is leaking on the back. They have quoted me a rebuild figure already that if it comes to that is fair. We will have a very mechanically tight coach when this is all done. We are going to fix the interior the way we want it and just buff and shine the exterior for now.

So what do I clean the exterior with? I think it will take some serious buffing And treating in places.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

todd,

thanks for the update. do you mean by take it out that you are having the entire engine taken out? shouldnt you be able to do an inframe rebuild?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

If the seal that is leaking is the rear main, then it has to come out. Or at least away from the tranny.

Sorry to hear of the misfortune. Having experienced a wee bit of serious engine malady, I know the nauseating feeling.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The 6V92 is designed to be able to have an in frame rebuild but this would only be typically. With the looks of the pieces it may be wise to look at the crankshaft and connecting rod bearings. If the pieces have been able to circulate them it could have done damages that would be consistent with a complete rebuild. Having stated this then I should also suggest that you use the recommendations of your mechanic because he/they will need to stand behind their work unless you request something different giving them a way out.
I am not so sure that 1000 miles could have done this much damage although they should have seen these pieces if they were present during the previous oil change.

I do my own Oil Changes. I just go to Walmart and buy a plastic container (one of those inexpensive storage containers) that is low enough to fit under the engine and hold the 7-8 Gallons (sorry but I cannot remember exactly but I think I remember about 6-7 Gallons). I then put down a plastic tarp and then the newly acquired plastic container. After the container is in place I poke a hole in the Filter (be sure that it is the Engine Filter and not the Transmission Filter) to allow it to drain before I remove it. I then use a Plastic Bag and remove the Filter (the Bag only helps keep the area clean). Now I replace the Oil Filter, and drain the Engine Oil, I usually let it drain for quite a while because I do not feel the need to warm up the engine. Replace the Drain Plug and Replace the Oil.
I then clean the plastic container and dispose of it along with the spent filter. I have a 5 Gallon Plastic Fuel Can that I put the spent oil into and take it off to a disposal site usually O'Reillys because they are close.
I buy 10 Gallons of Oil when doing this because I change the Generator Oil at the same time. This way I have a couple of gallons left over for the road.

Good Luck! remember hindsight is always 20/20 and advice is only worth what you pay for it.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

They want is out so that they can also replace a seal in the back that is leaking.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Well they found today that 5 of the 8 pistons had either no or very little bearing left. if they have not discarded things I will get pics. So new turbo and kits for all 8 pistons. All other bearings, crank shaft etc... look good. Head has no damage so no signs of over heating. So they hope to get most done next week and then the mechanic will complete the cruise control and replace all of the air valves and we should be good to go.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Wow....that's amazing that 5 of the 8 pistons have worn out bearings. You were near a catastrophic failure. Makes me wonder what happened in the past to cause that kind of seemingly premature wear. Todd, remind me, how many miles are on your coach?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

116,000. And the turbo was completely shot. These guys were still shocked as well. The head mechanic had driven and said he heard no noises and felt the power was good.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

something strange happened for sure. so are you changing the main and rod bearings as well?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Good thing that they pulled the engine. Sounds like they are on top of it. Sounds like the PO did not do the proper maintenance. No Oil Changes and running Hot could contribute to to sort of failure.
Make sure that they check the radiator as well.

So New Rod and Main Bearings?

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch