You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

So how do you sell one of these things?

I have had 5 coaches now not that is a lot compared to done guys but I have never bought a coach not through a dealer. Perhaps I paid more but I always had a gaurantee from the dealer even on the preowned coaches. I would also not want to deal with all the tire kickers and scam dealers. Look forward to hear how your experience goes.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

I sold my Prevost on eBay 10 years ago and it sold the first time I listed it. Be able to support your pricing decision (show Newell receipts etc) to help the buyer justify what they are paying

btw, i will likely never buy from a dealer. the reason is in az, if you buy from a private party there is no sales tax.

not that i will likely buy another one....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Marc,
I agree. I read contracts very carefully. (I am not a lawyer, but have spent a lot of time talking to them). My philosophy is that any contract should be balanced between both sides.

In at least one instance, a consignment company contract was written in a very lopsided manner. The risk was loaded on the seller, but the upside loaded onto the consigner. (in addition to a pretty healthy commission) I will hopefully be able to find a company who will be a little more straight-forward.

Marc, since you have bought and sold more Newells, along with cars, trucks, & boats than practically anyone, I will be happy to hear any other thoughts you have.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

When I bought Tom's 90' I had been watching for 6-8 mos. and knew that any guy that had two of them and had spent so much time renovating the older coach with upgrades and published it all online had to be The Guru...I could have offered him less than he was asking but then that is no way to start a friendship! I also figured that with all the Gurus' comments on his coach I was getting a group deal on advisors/friends! Since that purchase...Tom, Richard, Larry, Clarke, Michael, Forrest, Marc, Steve, and many other Gurus have helped educate and make repairs...I can say that I paid for the friends and got the coach...but no one has ever asked for a nickel! As one of the younger guys I just know that my next Newell will be one of the Guru's when they are done with it. From Richard's and Forrest's upgrades, to Steve's engine compartment I am searching for my next coach at every rally! I think the best selling and buying avenue is the Guru's page...

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

bill, thanks for the kind words.

something to make note of here is somewhat a statement of the obvious but not sure everyone internalizes it. no matter how well something has been take care of, there will be issues to fix at some point. bill had some things he needed to fix on mine even though it worked fine when he bought it. ALL of us have had that same thing happen to one degree or another. that is the nature of the beast. these are complicated machines and many of ours are from 10 to 30 years old. it is amazing when you think about the age. how many 30 year old cars are in excellent condition being used daily yet? (other than in cuba)

putting your custom house on wheels and driving around in it and shaking it all around will have some issues no matter how smooth the ride is.

all that said, bill, i expect you to come visit when you are back in the states....

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Bill,
Correction in name Big Sky Liquidators in AZ.. If you don't trade in a coach , selling is never fun and only easy if priced right to sell.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Bill,

Here is my .02. Advertise it here on the forum. Before you start, figure out what you are most likely to clear minus sales commission and other getting ready expenses, such as driving it to the consignment dealer. If and when a forum lead calls you, only you can determine how serious they are. If you think they are serious enough to fly to see the coach, then you can discuss price. I am an engineer, not a sales person. I always make it clear that this is the price, carmax style. There is no negotiation on price. I politely explain that up front. Of course, on the four RV's I've sold, I set the price as an attractive wholesale price. If it doesn't sell this way, then go the consignment route. I don't have a preferred, but I like that MOT takes trades and that makes it easier for a buyer.

The danger of this is that you tell someone a rock bottom price and they blab it on the interweb. I haven't personally had that happen.

I am not saying this technique works for everyone, but it works for me. Also, I buy RV's and cars like this too. I make a reasonable offer and the seller is free to sell or walk. I hate haggling. Some people love it. To each his own.

And ditto Tom's wisdom. The most cared for coach in the world can take a poop on the drive away. The RV owners already know that for we are always working on something. There is something about buying something new to you that give one amnesia on that situation. Your's truly included.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Selling should be a bit easier now that fuel prices are down.

I bought my Newell directly from the owner/seller, which is my preference. While I would buy a good coach at a fair price from either an individual or a dealer, my thought is an individual "should" know it's coach history and operation much better than a dealer. My experience showed dealers knew very little of the coaches history, operation, repairs that were needed, recent repairs/replacements, etc.

With that said, it is painfully difficult for a buyer to find all of the Newell, Prevost, etc for sale at any given time. I'm in the market currently for a newer Newell and I search the net everyday. It's an extremely fragmented market, and online listings are scattered. As a potential buyer, I'm shocked there isn't one major online marketplace that all sellers would list their coach. It sure would make it easier for buyers!

My opinion only....
If you sell it yourself, post ads on every site you can, including creating your own mini-site. The FIRST place people go is Google searches. Put up lots of high quality pictures, pictures, and pictures. The more the better. Post on all forums and update your post. Encourage potential buyers to contact you. Most ads don't. Be honest about what has been done recently to your coach. Dialogue and honest communication lead to sales. Lastly, it takes time for the right buyer to be in the market place for your exact coach at any given price.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff