You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Vibration

So dextrin atf fluid in the fuel filter bowl when you change it is a way to "clean"the injectors

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

My memory was that CenPeCo did not use methanol in their fuel conditioners. Theirs contain algaecides and are considered lubricating FC's. I confirmed that by email today just in case my memory was bad or they had changed their chemistry. The response I got is that they use emulsifiers to move water through. I do not understand exactly what an emulsifier is except that it has the ability to attach to water and oil. Continued use of a lubricating FC seems to minimize rust and algae in long term storage.
Considering that a minimal increase in fuel economy generally pays for the cost of the FC and independent tests under controlled conditions have indicated fuel economy increases I have been consistent in adding the recommended amount to my diesel vehicles over the last 30 years and have never had a fuel quality related problem.
It is possible that I may not have had any problems w/o the FC but I took comfort in knowing that if I did get a bad tank of fuel the FC may have added some protection to the fuel system and kept me going as many of the miles have been in diesel powered pick-up trucks and a diesel Jeep in very cold Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan winters.
How ever if I would have got a "slug" of water in my tank and I knew it I would drain it off!!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Is there sny thing wrong with filling some ATF containers with desil fuel and using that.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Doug,
I think you should double check from Newell or Cummins as you have a very late model engine. Don't you have a DEF engine and common rail injection?

Jimmy

Yes it is def and comon rail. For sure set up for today's fuel. That being said we use the things hard then they sit. It's not a typical design use for the motor. Does not mean that fuel additives would not help got all of our types of use.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Doug, your filter has a 25,000 mile or one year replacement schedule.. You most likely won't have to deal with it unless you pick up a slug of water somewhere.. Don't think additives will hurt or the ATF.. I Was thinking warranty.. You should have online access to Cummins service info.. I would just check it out.. The DEF is a after treatment... Just saying...

Jimmy

I have 1 qt ATF put in the fuel tank of all my Powerstrokes every oil change. Usually tank is fairly low around a quarter. I my mind it helps keep injectors clean. Some have over 400K on them since I have started the practice. Lube shop was using filtered diesel or ATF on the 8V92. They have had a personnel change so next service is a freebie at Stewart & Stevenson so not sure what they will do.

The important thing is to have clean filtered fuel or ATF (which, is clean when you open it). Fill on the outside of the filter not in the center and keep contamination off the seals. The filters take out the smallest of particles ( micron) to prevent pump and injector damage... Along with topping off the tanks when setting awhile and regular sumping of the drains, you will have few problems on the road..

Jimmy

I store my coach for months at a time during the winter, I top off the tanks and add Fuel Prep 1000 to keep the alge down. I have used this for years in both coaches and yachts with success.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica