You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Motorized awning for driver's side

I have completed installation of the motorized awning kit provided by Zip Dee.  The kit was developed at my request and I am most pleased with the outcome.  Since this is a new kit for them, the instructions need some additional tweeking, and I will be discussing this with them.  However, their step-by-step instructions on how to install the motor are very good.  Better instructions are needed on how to remove the old arms and installing the new arms.  To that end, I am attaching several photos which should be of help to anyone who wants to install this kit.  Note that the old awning rail, roller and fabric stay in place and are not removed.  I am thinking about ordering another kit for my bedroom window on the curb side.  Without the kit, I would have had to buy a new awning and have it professionally installed at a cost exceeding $2,000.  With an investment of $503, I have my 13'2" motorized and the fabric still matches all of my other awnings.  Also note that there are times when two persons are need for the installation, but otherwise it is not a big deal.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Great presentation Chester. Thank you

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

They also have a kit for the patio awning. They started thinking about doing this because of all the Airstreams and GMC motorhomes they equipped back in the day. They have had a test mule Airstream for eight or nine years that they have made running changes on. For the patio awning they want about six times more than what Chester paid to motorize it. May could get a group buy price.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

chester, nice work

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Good job Chester.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

In the words of Darth Vader...."Impressive"..."The force is strong in this one!"

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I am so pleased with the first installation that today I ordered a second one for the curb side bedroom awning. Installation will go much faster.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey

Today I finally got around to installing the Zip Dee motorized awning kit for my curb side bedroom window awning. As mentioned in my previous posts, Zip Dee developed this kit at my request and will now market it. For this second awning, I decided to put the motor on the left side of the awning roller rather than the right side due to availability of power. I had to rethink the installation but it worked out just fine and I can advise anyone that wants to try it - not a big deal. I was delayed in doing the install because I dropped and damaged the original kit motor. Zip Dee came through and provided another motor at their cost. I must say the Zip Dee has an outstanding customer service and held my hand through these installations. Jimmy is the one that put the kit together and Nate will answer any of your technical questions.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey