You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant replacement

Richard is correct in my opinion. AND there is a version of OAT by Cummins called ES Compleat that is compatible with all other antifreezes; that makes it easier to add coolant on the road and not have to worry about it all turning to goop and destroying your engine. With proper maintenance it should last as long as the coach. It ain't the cheapest stuff but I love the flexibility it offers plus the protection security for the engine and coolant system.

I spent weeks on the computer and phone trying to figure it out. Your conclusions may vary if you do similar research. While your current coolant may be just fine, if you don't know what you have there is some risk of some coolants not playing well with others that is only avoided by trusting what you have. It only costs $300 dollars or so to make the change, in the grand scheme of things that's probably the most inexpensive insurance you can buy.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Tom It is still the same. No email notification.

Richard, Thanks for the lengthily explanation I actually like such stuff.
Thanks Alie for the added info.
My coolant may very well be ok I Had to add 1 Gallon after having it in storage last summer here in Yuma. I found sme green Napa coolant to match the color of what I had. It is supposed to mix with all coolants Hmm. But only needing 1 gallon I figured it would probably be ok. The coolant in the coach is very clean looking. My next step is to get some strips to test to try and see what the condition of the coolant is. I called Newell fo a price on changing and got an estimate from $500. to $740. I was hoping maybe $300.

So should I be able to get a good idea with strips as to what the condition of the coolant is?
And should a place like Napa have such strips?

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad,
I am responding to your posting because my opinion is that you are playing Russian roulette with the health of your engine.  Coolant is very important in protecting your engine!  COLOR will not tell you anything about a coolant or if the coolant is recommended for use in a Detroit Diesel.  NOT just any coolant will provide the protection needed.  Using test strips are only for checking the condition of your coolant BETWEEN the recommended draining schedule.  You are way overdue for a coolant change.  The damage will make the cost of a coolant change look very small.

77Newell gave you a very good procedure for the change.  I have changed mine several times and it is not a difficult job.  It can save you thousands of $$$.  I use DD Powercool that I buy for between $10-$11 a gal.  Distilled water 88 cents a gallon.  A good system cleaner about $15 a gallon.  A coolant change on my DD, series 60 cost me about $125.  

Here is some literature you should consider:

http://wanderlodgegurus.com/attachment.php?aid=101

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve. I will read the links.

Being a fulltimer I no longer have a place of my own to do these things. I am currently at our winter spot on the desert just north of Yuma Az.
I was under the impression that it will take about 25 gallons of coolant that would put it closer to $275 for the coolant not including the extras.

Tom.
I am now getting notified. Thanks

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Price to rebuild 8V92 is just north of 20K parts & labor all in. Can take upwards of 3 months depending on where parts are coming from. Please take good care of cooling system & coolant.

Brad: there is a drain on the side of the block of the 8V92 series that will drain a few gallons once the radiator is drained.

There are two categories of coolant; standard and extended life. Given your circumstances I would suggest going with an extended life. Yes it will cost more but it will last long enough to save you the extra materials cost and labor cost. You need to look carefully at the Detroit Diesel spec's for coolant for your engine and then carefully compare with other brands. No one can tell you exactly what you should do, at best they can tell you what they have done, but their circumstances may differ from your own and make another solution more sensible for you.

I chose ES Compleat OAT as an extended life coolant that should last longer than I will given the miles I drive. Do not confuse that with a NOAT coolant which is unacceptable in our 2-stroke engines.

Do not pay any attention to color, green coolant is supplied according to a variety of spec's, only a few of which are acceptable in your engine. DO pay attention to the spec's. I personally am not comfortable with a coolant supplier claiming that their coolant is equivalent to a particular spec. In my mind, unless the container states it meets the necessary spec I'm not buying it. Others will feel comfortable buying one that claims it is equivalent, that doesn't make either them or me wrong. It is a matter of studying the subject and reaching a conclusion you are happy and confident with.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Brad, when I changed my coolant from ethylene glycol to ELC in a Cat I had, I pulled the thermostats  since I was putting in new ones anyway and bolted the cap back on.  This saved a lot of flushing time.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Got my test strips only thing off is ph so will have Newell change it on our way east.
Newell says if I have green then they will put green back in. I don't see any thing that says how long coolant is good for.
I see based on miles but not time. Us coach folks don't really put the miles truckers do. Any one know if there is a time limit or just test with strips and adjust accordingly for how many years?

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Reread link #1 in posting #13.  It will answer ALL of your questions.  Pay close attention to the Maintenance section, subsection "Coolant Maintenance Intervals".  It will give you the mileage & time recommendations for whatever coolant type you select.  Also under the "Summary of Coolant Recommendations", pay close attention to #12 which discusses "coolant life".  Please note that Detroit Diesel also recommends "if topping off is needed, add coolant identical to the initial fill coolant.

Link #2 shows what products meet Detroit Diesel specifications & which ones are not recommended.

In reviewing "Newell Coach Annual Service and Preventative Maintenance Checklist(PM)" it lists the following recommendation:  "every 5 years flush and change coolant (if vehicle has extended type coolant).

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531