You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Oil Pan

While doing an oil change and replacing my muffler I noticed the condition of my oil pan which had pretty thick flakes of rust falling off. I am wondering if anyone has had to change out their oil pan because of excessive rust. Also if needed is there a place to get used pans?

Ps. I installed a fumoto valve last season which sure made changing the oil an easy task. Although it is best to warm the oil first.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

try a search on e-bay for detroit 8v92

Hi Brad,
I'm thinking it may be more sound than it appears. The next time you change oil I'd recommend that you scrape all the rust flakes off and gently tap around on it with a hammer to check for soundness. If it is still viable spray it good with trichloroethane and allow it to dry before coating with POR 15 . I'd follow up with a coat of Fluid Film for self healing protection from stone chips.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I like hoosierdaddy's ideas.

I cracked my oil pan last year. Different engine than yours, etc but I was unable to find a used/salvage oil pan and had to order a new one. It was a 4 week wait from DD.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff