You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Electric heater

My front heater fan seems to only push enough air to maybe feel it at about 12 inches from the heater.
Wondering if this is normal? My other 2 units one under the kitchen and the other in the bathroom pushes more air.

Brad

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Could need cleaning. Good idea to pull them out yearly or so to clean off the accumulated dust to prevent a fire.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(03-05-2015, 06:59 AM)Brad Townsend Wrote:  My front heater fan seems to only push enough air to maybe feel it at about 12 inches from the heater.
Wondering if this is normal? My other 2 units one under the kitchen and the other in the bathroom pushes more air.

Brad

I have the same experience Brad & my front heater is new. The one in the bathroom may seem to push more air just because of the size of the room & your proximity to it. Just a thought.

Jim

Jim & Gail
1987 Newell #123
Silver 8v92/Allison 4 sp.
Toad: 2007 HHR
Life is a Highway.

I guess I should check for dust acumulation.
Good idea. Did you try that Jim?

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Checked out the front heater for dust and it sure was a mess. But even after cleaning it it didn't make a difference in velocity.
It probably is supposed to be that way because if it was any stronger it would be hitting the drivers seat as it is pointed in that direction. So now to clean the other two heaters.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad, you might be right regarding the drivers seat, but I don't know how you would adjust them to decrease the air volume. I've replaced all three of mine over the past 2 years as the old ones tended to stop working properly and catch on fire according to others. The new ones are quieter, but I can feel the not air several feet from the heater. Are these still the original heaters?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

As far as I know they are original. I can see how they might cause a fire if that built up dust was to get blown into the heating elements. Probably somewhere it says to clean out yearly. They are still very quiet.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I think the problem with the old ones was there is a bushing on the fan that wears out, and the fan stops working causing the heater to overheat and combust at some point....a completely separate issue from the dust accumulation. Maybe your fan bushing is wearing out causing the fan to spin at a lower RPM....maybe the precursor to failure.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com